NTP health check failed - No NTP peers

anyuser

Dabbler
I know I am a bit late, but could the original issue be any form of a general UDP problem? Did any of the people with NTP issues have any problems with streaming or VoIP?
I had this problem after upgrading from CORE to SCALE. After doing a clean install of SCALE the error went away and has never come back.

homer27081990

Patron
I had this problem after upgrading from CORE to SCALE. After doing a clean install of SCALE the error went away and has never come back.
Most of the people that have this problem did not change from core to scale, though.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I am simply making an assessment from what the people on this post are saying, nothing more.
Right. There were some questions raised in the past about why people didn't see this alert in core. In BlueFin we will transition to using chronyd for time - this isn't really because there's an issue with ntpd.

That said, having correct time is very important for computers and so if your clocks are slewing in a way that ntpd can't keep up (because truenas is virtualized, hardware issue, etc), one should investigate the issue carefully as it may impact services in a significant way.

Last edited:

nabsltd

Contributor
That said, having correct time is very important for computers and so if your clocks are slewing in a way that ntpd can't keep up (because truenas is virtualized, hardware issue, etc), one should investigate the issue carefully as it may impact services in a significant way.
Related to that, my current setup is that I have ntpd running on my physical boxes (3x ESXi, 1x iSCSI storage running on CentOS), and those boxes are set at statrum 3, and get time from upstream stratum 1 and 2 servers (by using the server directive), and serve time to my local clients (by using the restrict directive). In addition, the servers can use each other as time sources (by using the peer directive).

The first two parts of my setup can be duplicated on TrueNAS using the UI config for ntpd. But, I can't see a way to set up the 3rd to have TrueNAS share time with other physical servers. Am I missing something, or is there no way to set up this sort of configuration?

bzb-rs

Cadet
This error is showing up everyday on our install.
running ntpq -pn does give an output.

Wondering if the ntp servers are rate limiting the checks made for being too frequent?

Mixel

Explorer
Same issues here, not virtualised. In error log:

NTP health check failed - No Active NTP peers: [{'185.216.161.42': 'REJECT'}, {'162.159.200.1': 'REJECT'}, {'185.19.184.35': 'REJECT'}]​

What also seemed to be a thing, before this there was a remark about difference between system time and server time. Had to manually set system time via CLI. Bios time was set correct all the time.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Bios time was set correct all the time.
Local time or UTC? Always set the BIOS clock to UTC for Unix systems.

Dr.Pepper42

Cadet
Just wanted to report that the issue still persists on TN SCALE. I recieved the same message as Mixel.

toasterlint

Cadet
Just wanted to report that the issue still persists on TN SCALE. I recieved the same message as Mixel.
I noticed the same issue this morning...in my case I just needed to set my system's time closer to the real time. Seems if it's too far off the service crashes within a few seconds.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Yes, it is a good reason as any to buy a NTP200 from centerclick and stop worrying about developing these kinds of offsets every time your iso decides to bloc port 123 or whatever.