NTP health check failed - No NTP peers

abishur

Dabbler
I'm getting a message every now and again about:

Code:
NTP health check failed - No NTP peers: [{'192.168.25.22': 'REJECT'}, {'129.6.15.28': 'REJECT'}]
2022-08-24 05:01:15 (America/Chicago)

What's weird here is that neither of the ip addresses listed are what I have configured under system settings->general-> NTP Servers.

How do I get TrueNAS Scale (22.02.3, running on hardware, not a VM) to update its list of NTP servers instead of using an outdated list?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm getting a message every now and again about:

Code:
NTP health check failed - No NTP peers: [{'192.168.25.22': 'REJECT'}, {'129.6.15.28': 'REJECT'}]
2022-08-24 05:01:15 (America/Chicago)

What's weird here is that neither of the ip addresses listed are what I have configured under system settings->general-> NTP Servers.

How do I get TrueNAS Scale (22.02.3, running on hardware, not a VM) to update its list of NTP servers instead of using an outdated list?
We fixed an issue after 22.02.3 where DHCP NTP servers could override the ones configured in webui.

abishur

Dabbler
Thanks, I had forgotten I even had a DHCP NTP server set up ‍♂️ I updated that and it's good now

TYFLOOZY

Dabbler
Hello, I am receiving this error as well and i just switched form DHCP to Static IP a few days ago and have been seeing numerous issues (most likely from incorrect/not complete configuration that i'm trying to figure out.)

What edits do i need to do to my default NTP servers? Do I need to add/switch to NTS?

Also if there are any resources to make sure I set the correct IPv4 Gateway and both nameservers, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Truenas Scale on Minix+

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 4.19.18 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 4.19.18 PM.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 97
DHCP will populate GW and DNS automatically.
Now that you assigned a static IP, you need to make sure you set the default GW and DNS server under the Network -> Globals.
NTP servers are set at System Settings -> General -> NTP Servers
Another option would be to assign a static IP reservation on your DHCP server and leave TrueNAS in DHCP.

Personally, I enable a NTP server on my firewall and point all clients to it. All outbound port 123 NTP requests are redirected to the local NTP server to reduce load on public NTP servers, better time synchronization between clients, prevents miscreants from profiling what potential services/clients you are running behind your firewall based on public NTP requests, and reduces risk to NTP DoS attacks when the next NTP vulnerability is discovered and exploited. I am also running my own Stratum 1 GPS NTP Server.

Last edited:

TYFLOOZY

Dabbler
Are there any good resources for both routes? (Input info into the GW and DNS Fields and the Firewall option)?

Right now I'd like to get the first option going so my machine works, I put in 192.168.1.1 in the Gateway and all 3 Namesservers based off some other videos/forums, but doesn't seem to be working right. Should I put in cloudflare/Quad9/Google or other names servers in there instead?

Should I put in cloudflare/Quad9/Google or other names servers in there instead?
1. What is the LAN IP of your firewall? Use that for GW
2. If you run DNSmasq or your own DNS Forwarder on your firewall, then you can use the LAN IP of your firewall for the DNS entry.