FreeNAS crash after 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

rds13

Cadet
Hy,

I have setup a FreeNas server with an HP Proliant MicroServer gen7 two years ago. It has been running find until recently.
The server was rebooting multiple time by day. On reboot I have a message :
Code:
savecore: reboot after panic: solaris assert: 0 == bpobj_open(&bpo, dl->dl_os, obj) (0x0 == 0x11), file: /freenas-9.10-releng/_BE/os/sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/dsl_deadlist.c, line: 427

Sadly, this message doesn't seem to lead to specific problem.

As I was in need of another backup server I've built another FreeNAS server around an HP Proliant MicroServer gen8 this time. And I bought ECC Ram for both server which wasn't the case for the gen 7 before.
I was able to copy via ZFS all content from the gen7 to the gen8 with no problem.
Then I put my gen7 server back in service. I restart the Time Machine process of an host I had to backup. First nothing happen for 12 hours but it started to crash again and again after.

So my questions are :
- is my zsh volume corrupted ? is it possible only a dataset might be corrupted ?
- how can I assert that my hardware is not broken ?

D

dlavigne

Are you booting with the same USB stick? It is possible that the boot device is failing.

melloa

Wizard
Assuming you had back-up all your data to the new server ... can you save the config from the old one, reinstall on a new boot drive (usb stick?), import the volume(s), import the saved config and test?

rds13

Cadet
Are you booting with the same USB stick? It is possible that the boot device is failing.
I've bought two new usb keys but it did not solve my problem

Assuming you had back-up all your data to the new server ... can you save the config from the old one, reinstall on a new boot drive (usb stick?), import the volume(s), import the saved config and test?

As a matter of fact I made a new installation and then setup a replication configuration to send my data to this new unit.
I did not try to backup my data to this new unit. I could do that and see what happens.

melloa

Wizard
As a matter of fact I made a new installation and then setup a replication configuration to send my data to this new unit.

Ok, so you did try a fresh install.

I did not try to backup my data to this new unit. I could do that and see what happens.

Would be the next logical step, as that's what you plan to do anyways. If you have both at the same build and the new one works fine, you could have a hardware problem with the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.