FreeNAS 9.2.0-RC now available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sybreeder

Explorer
FreeNAS has never had the vmxnet3 NIC driver included as far as I know. You've ALWAYS had to hack it in.

I know that but on 9.1.1 when i install driver NIC is recognized properly.
To enable vmxnet3 i always need to copy couple .ko files to /boot/modules and enter vmx_net yes into tunables

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Correct. And it sounds like the developers have no plan to change that based on the bug ticket I linked on my last post(I added 2 things via edits so you might not have read them).

Generally speaking, doing FreeNAS on a VM is somewhat dangerous anyway. We've had LOTS of people lose their pools because of virtualization. If you don't have the skillset to hack in the driver yourself you definitely shouldn't be trying to run FreeNAS as a VM.

Dusan

Guru
To enable vmxnet3 i always need to copy couple .ko files to /boot/modules and enter vmx_net yes into tunables
Kernel module binaries (.ko) are usually not compatible across kernel versions, i.e. a kernel module built for 9.1.1 will most likely not work with 9.2.0. You need to get a new .ko compatible with the FreeNAS 9.2.0 kernel.

diedrichg

Wizard
Your username should be root and the password whatever you entered.

If you go locally to the machine there's an option on the machine to reset the GUI password. Choose that.
Thank you! That did the trick. Thank goodness they had the mindset to include that option. It was option #7.

sybreeder

Explorer
Kernel module binaries (.ko) are usually not compatible across kernel versions, i.e. a kernel module built for 9.1.1 will most likely not work with 9.2.0. You need to get a new .ko compatible with the FreeNAS 9.2.0 kernel.

Oh... So in this case i'm curious if proper modules will be available. I wonder if VM tools from ESXi 5.5 would did the trick.

pbucher

Contributor

Yes that's how it used to work until 9.2, the 8.3 or 9.0 prebuilt kernel modules included with the VM tools install worked under FreeNAS. I have it on my to do list to compile the modules using FreeBSD 9.2 and see if that does the trick.

FreeBSD 10 is looking to have a built-in version of the vmxnet3 driver. It doesn't appear to be based on vmware's current source and is very new so your mileage may vary with it. The pre-built drivers have been working great in my production systems for the past year.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I could be mistaken, but isn't there a difference between the vmxnet3 driver that is used with ESXi 5.1 and the vmxnet3 driver that is used with ESXi 5.5? I know that there are some prominent players in the forums that might be using 4.x...

pbucher

Contributor
I could be mistaken, but isn't there a difference between the vmxnet3 driver that is used with ESXi 5.1 and the vmxnet3 driver that is used with ESXi 5.5? I know that there are some prominent players in the forums that might be using 4.x...

Yes there are probably differences, but the 5.1 drivers play well under 5.5. I currently have a mix of 5.1 & 5.5 servers, 5.5 being on my non-critical boxes as a step towards validating it for production use and I use the 5.1 driver across the board. I've looked and 5.5 drivers don't support the changes in 9.2 either. It's going to require one to compile the driver from source, which is fine but a unexpected pain in the side.

Kenny3

Dabbler
Yeah, good point and good catch. I've copied that into the ReleaseNotes! Thanks.

Is this because the underlying FreeBSD doesn't support those USB chipsets? I recently stood up a FreeNAS 9.1.1 install with a Haswell chip/board and was disappointed when I found I needed to disable USB3.0 just to get the system to boot. Is this something I should just plan on giving up on, or will it probably end up in a future release?

Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Is this because the underlying FreeBSD doesn't support those USB chipsets? I recently stood up a FreeNAS 9.1.1 install with a Haswell chip/board and was disappointed when I found I needed to disable USB3.0 just to get the system to boot. Is this something I should just plan on giving up on, or will it probably end up in a future release?

Thanks!

I won't say that its a for sure "yes" but that is more than likely the problem. New hardware takes time to support. When you buy stuff that just came out problems range from new features just not working to the system not being able to boot or the system being unstable. If you give it time things will eventually get better. Now whether 9.1 will ever support Haswell I don't know. I'd sort of expect 10.0 to support it before anything else.

Kenny3

Dabbler
I have been getting back into the world of hardware with this build. I actually didn't realize how new my hardware was, but completely understand the TTL for support. Never meant any trouble with my "disappointed" comment, other than with myself :). I'm tremendously happy with FreeNAS — it's my first major storage system. I'll keep an eye out for future releases.

diedrichg

Wizard
Thank you! That did the trick. Thank goodness they had the mindset to include that option. It was option #7.
I can reset the root GUI password and can enter a new one when accessing the GUI but as soon as I reboot and try to login through the GUI I get an error that the password is incorrect. What is happening? What can I change?

ZFS Noob

Contributor
Just upgraded myself. I thought the pop-up said I now had to log in as root rather than admin.

Who'd you try and log in as?

diedrichg

Wizard
root
*new password*

Status
Not open for further replies.