Announcing FreeNAS 9.2.0-RELEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

benamira

Explorer
Yes, but Plex is doing upgrades every week and there's quite a few SERIOUS bugs that are getting fixed in recent builds. So the "need" to upgrade to fix things like subtitles and other things is quite high. I'm running the weekly plexpass builds in linux and religiously upgrade when they are posted.

that's exactly my case... i am keeping both servers (the old one in mac os), and the new one in freenas. I update to the last plexpass version as cyberjock the Mac OS server to see the new features and fixes, and wait for a more solid procedure to update the plugin...

Dusan

Guru
But isn't USB3 disabled by default in 9.2.0? I upgraded from 9.1.1 and found that my USB3 ports still worked OK; wouldn't I have to have reenabled that if I had installed from scratch?
On most boards the USB3 (blue) ports are also accessible via EHCI (USB2). So, while the xHCI driver (USB3) is disabled you are still be able to use the ports at USB2 speeds.
And zpool status suggests that I should upgrade. I already upgraded when I moved to 9.1.1; what would a further upgrade get me?
The 9.1.1 upgrade added these ZFS features:
  • async_destroy -- asynchronous destruction of ZFS datasets
  • empty_bpobj -- reduces disk space usage and improves performance when you have lot of snapshots
  • lz4_compress -- new compression algorithm
The 9.2.0 update adds these:
  • multi_vdev_crash_dump -- crash dumps can now be saved to all kinds of zpools, not just a single disk or a mirror; you don't need this with FreeNAS
  • spacemap_histogram -- more detailed information is stored in the pool about the distribution of free space; ZFS can use this information to allocate disk space faster (better?); right now there is no documentation on this, but I think the metaslab allocator doesn't use this information by default yet (it seems you need to set vfs.zfs.metaslab.weight_factor_enable to enable that, but I may be wrong ;)).
So, unless you want to experiment (not recommended with your production system) I don't think there is a good reason to upgrade your pool at this time.

Ramboxman

Explorer
Thanks, Everything went great in my upgrade. One note to other that may encounter see below if you use a OSX Finder will not show CIFS shares if there are AFP shares. This is fallout from a change made in the avahi config to have one server with all of the services as opposed to multiple servers each with one service. Thanks for the clearification... jpaetzel

Noticed the change and was pulling my hair out! Just added my Shared Directory to the AFP which previously worked just for a time machine backups and whola, in finder on mac under shared I see my BackupDrive and my freeNASTimeMachine folders. Freenas is the shared AFP name, this works but I almost prefer the older way since I accidentally do not want to delete file from freeNASTimeMachine folder. Seeing my nas listed in Finder as freenas is nicer than cifs shares from before.

ThreeDee

Guru
Interesting note .. perhaps .. but earlier I tried upgrading the plex plug in via the "update" button .. it did the hang at 50% thing so I cancelled it. A little later in the day click on my Plex/Web shortcut only to be greeted by the "404" error. I turn the plex plugin off and noticed that it was up to the latest version even though I cancelled the upgrade... I restart the plug in and plex now comes up but I have to re-setup my media folders in plex.. I only have about 900 movies and all of them are setup in their own folders via Media Center Master so it's just a matter of Plex reloading all the folders ..all that to say, not a big deal .. but, it's just odd that plex continued to update itself even though I cancelled it.

pulpito

Dabbler
Freenas 9.2.0 upgrade using GUI working whith no issues , thanks You did a good job

panz

Guru
Just updated from WebGUI (previous v. was 9.1.1): now the left pane takes _forever_ to load :(

joeschmuck

Old Man
That is odd. Maybe clearing your browser cache would help.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
Upgraded via GUI to FreeNAS-9.2.0-RELEASE-x64 (ab098f4) from FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64 (a752d35)

- I got one error in terminal before the first reboot. Anyway i don't see any issue.
xgmv.png

- Also it was "stuck" after the second reboot for like 5 minutes at "Waiting up to 5 seconds for ixdiagnose to finish... done." then it moved on, so be patient. I don't see any related errors in /var/logs/messages, so probably something was in background

Anyway ... thank you iX team ... GOOD JOB !!!

majorgear

Dabbler
I upgraded from 9.1.1 to 9.2 using the Web GUI method. It was easy though took longer to write the image to my USB stick and to perform the reboots than I thought that it would. I worriedly walked over to the box, and then I calmed down when I saw that was booting up. I really like the cleaned up interface, and I'm going to try out the Plugin update feature today.

Good job FreeNAS team!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
That is odd. Maybe clearing your browser cache would help.

I had this problem too, and tried cleaning my cache, to no avail. I thought it was happening because I was testing 9.2 in VMWare player...

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
It was easy though took longer to write the image to my USB stick and to perform the reboots than I thought that it would. I worriedly walked over to the box, and then I calmed down when I saw that was booting up.

Haha, i was also worried "why the hell that loading bar stopped moving, what's going on?" ... then i calmed down and checked once again documentation and in chapter 2.6.3 second bullet point is:
the new image is uncompressed and written to the USB compact or flash drive; this can take a few minutes so be patient
I suggest to make it bold in documentation just in case ^^

sully

Explorer
Thanks!! Great news! Just downloading downloaded and will test testing in a few minutes...
First notice is that in the GUI, left menu, before upgrading and below plugins i could see the plugins installed (Plex media server in my case) and could launch it...
After upgrading, the plugin is installed and seems to be working but in the left menu, there is nothing in plugins.
It is working as expected or should i file a bug??

As i am not an expert the only message i see from the console is
http://192.168.0.200/plugins/plexmediaserver/1/_s/treemenu: HTTP Error 502: Bad Gateway

I'm also receiving this error and is preventing from running any plugin updates...

Code:
Dec 30 10:27:53 armory manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:522] Couldn't retrieve https://192.168.2.5:8080/plugins/crashplan/1/_s/treemenu: HTTP Error 502: Bad Gateway
Dec 30 10:28:07 armory manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:522] Couldn't retrieve https://192.168.2.5:8080/plugins/crashplan/1/_s/treemenu: HTTP Error 502: Bad Gateway
Dec 30 10:28:15 armory manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:522] Couldn't retrieve https://192.168.2.5:8080/plugins/crashplan/1/_s/treemenu: HTTP Error 502: Bad Gateway
Dec 30 10:31:33 armory manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:522] Couldn't retrieve https://192.168.2.5:8080/plugins/crashplan/1/_s/treemenu: HTTP Error 502: Bad Gateway

I've verified that the proper gateway was set in the Global Config and even tried adding the gateway to the plugins, neither has suppressed the error. This wasn't an issue in 9.1.1. Thoughts?

J

jkh

I'm also receiving this error and is preventing from running any plugin updates...

Code:
Dec 30 10:27:53 armory manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:522] Couldn't retrieve https://192.168.2.5:8080/plugins/crashplan/1/_s/treemenu: HTTP Error 502: Bad Gateway

I've verified that the proper gateway was set in the Global Config and even tried adding the gateway to the plugins, neither has suppressed the error. This wasn't an issue in 9.1.1. Thoughts?

We need a bit more information, I'm afraid. Can you provide the output from:
  • ifconfig
  • jexec jailname ps auxww
  • jexec jailname ifconfig
  • jexec jailname sockstat -4
  • cat /usr/local/etc/nginx/plugins.conf
Thanks!

sully

Explorer
  • ifconfig
Thanks!

Sorry... In a rush to get things going again and before seeing your info request, I deleted both my crashplan and plex plugins. They did eventually update but after I enabled NAT, however, their GUI weren't accessible and I was still getting gateway error messages in the console. (the Plex upgrade wiped my existing Plex db and Jail storages... grrr) After deleting, and installing a fresh jail and plugin, the gateway errors have stopped. Interestingly enough, the settings as far as I can tell are exactly as they were prior to deleting and rebuilding. I'm stumped on this one...

pbucher

Contributor
Thanks a lot for this little Christmas present. I took advantage and it being an IT only work week between the holidays and deployed this release end to end after some rather brief validation of it on my test SAN.

This appears to be a very solid release. In my virtualized SAN setup I've moved 9TB worth of data already(greatly inflated by the fact that I nuked 3 pools and rebuilt them to take care of the alignment warning and to add another zvol to my main arrays so I did a lot of zfs send/receive). Adding the additional zvol along with the improvements in 9.2 I was able to great the 1GBs barrier using dd with bs=128k test(very synthetic but validates that the array can move some data without problem).

I still need to do some more formal testing,validation, and tuning of things but I think we've got a good solid release and it's very stable under ESXi 5.5.

Naesstrom

Contributor
  • ifconfig
Thanks!

I'm having the same problem after upgrading to 9.2 today, also I can't set a storage for couchpotato... just doesn't do anything as it seems.

I ran the commands above and you can see the result here: http://pastebin.com/az83BBDP I just ran them for transmission but the others seem to be giving the same error to. After a reboot they seem to be working for a while tough.

J

John Hixson

I'm having the same problem after upgrading to 9.2 today, also I can't set a storage for couchpotato... just doesn't do anything as it seems.

I ran the commands above and you can see the result here: http://pastebin.com/az83BBDP I just ran them for transmission but the others seem to be giving the same error to. After a reboot they seem to be working for a while tough.

So it looks like the plugin jail "control" script is not running, which explains everything. Run this command from the cli: service ix-plugins restart

That should fix your issue.

Naesstrom

Contributor
So it looks like the plugin jail "control" script is not running, which explains everything. Run this command from the cli: service ix-plugins restart

That should fix your issue.

Great, Thanks John! Now I just need to figure out why my storage for the couchpotato jail isn't working :D

Oellness

Cadet
Upgraded via GUI to FreeNAS-9.2.0-RELEASE-x64 (ab098f4) from FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64 (a752d35)

- I got one error in terminal before the first reboot. Anyway i don't see any issue.
xgmv.png

- Also it was "stuck" after the second reboot for like 5 minutes at "Waiting up to 5 seconds for ixdiagnose to finish... done." then it moved on, so be patient. I don't see any related errors in /var/logs/messages, so probably something was in background

Anyway ... thank you iX team ... GOOD JOB !!!
Hi, i have also this "stuck" after "Waiting up to 5 seconds for ixdiagnose to finish... done."...

Daisuke

Contributor
I upgraded successfully to 9.2.0, but now I lost the CIFS permissions for a specific volume. In FreeNas, I have an user floren, added to group wheel. I cannot add anymore files to the /nas/media from Windows, but I can edit the existing files.

Edit: I fixed the issue by assigning user floren to /nas/media volume, instead of root. This was not previously needed in FreeNAS 9.1.1, as user floren belongs to groups floren and wheel. Is this the normal behavior in 9.2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.