FreeNAS 9.2.0-BETA now available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amires

Explorer
I have networking issues with 9.2.0 Beta and linux jails. I have tried debian, gentoo, suse and ubuntu and in neither of them I am able to assign an ip address to eth0 interface. The only jails that works are freebsd jails standard, ports and plugins. Does anyone have the same issue?

jyavenard

Patron
What is the difference between your nightlies and the ones here : http://iso.cdn.freenas.org/nightlies/ ?

I created that one when the official nightlies wasn't running... don't use it unless you know exactly what you're after and you don't want to wait.
Plus a couple of bugs I reported got fixed, and wasn't yet in the nightlies, so I compiled it so I would have access to it immediately and not wait a few days.

As far as its content, I believe they are build exactly like the official builds are. They obviously won't have the same checksums.

J

jkh

The build checksum is the git hash of the last commit, so actually, if you see the same checksum then you have managed to achieve the same build, assuming you also used "make release" from the top level to build them. :) JFYI.

jyavenard

Patron
I was referring to the SHA1 checksum...

FWIW, build is broken for me today after I upgraded... Weirdly, just reverting the freenas directory to yesterday's version doesn't fix it.. must have been other changes to the other repo

Alvin

Explorer
No luck on the easter egg, and not going to make it for 9.2.0
That's unfortunate. It has been in FreeBSD base for a while now. Is there a possibility to configure NFSv4 outside of the GUI?

amires

Explorer
I'm having issues getting networking to work with the new linux jail templates ( ubuntu / deb ). Anyone have success using linux jails in 9.2.0?

Yes I have the same problem as well with all linux jails.

J

jkh

folks: Please try out the latest nightly in http://cdn.freenas.org/nightlies/2013-12-02/ - quite few fixes for jails have gone into that build!

We're getting close to the release candidate build (which is essentially frozen - only the worst bugs will prevent it from becoming the full release). Any feedback we can get on the nightlies (and remember: always include the date of the nightly you're using in any reports, since things are literally changing on a daily basis!) is sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

amires

Explorer
folks: Please try out the latest nightly in http://cdn.freenas.org/nightlies/2013-12-02/ - quite few fixes for jails have gone into that build!

We're getting close to the release candidate build (which is essentially frozen - only the worst bugs will prevent it from becoming the full release). Any feedback we can get on the nightlies (and remember: always include the date of the nightly you're using in any reports, since things are literally changing on a daily basis!) is sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

That's cool couldnt wait to try RC. I tried latest nightly (2013-12-02) however the issue with linux jails still exists. Network connectivity is not possible with linux jails.

J

jkh

That's cool couldnt wait to try RC. I tried latest nightly (2013-12-02) however the issue with linux jails still exists. Network connectivity is not possible with linux jails.

Well dang it! I thought we'd fixed most of those issues. Is there a bug tracking the symptoms you're seeing (and reproduction steps for it, if you can) at bugs.freenas.org? We're literally just days away from releasing our next-to-last build, so it would be really nice to be able to knock this one down beforehand!

Thanks.

raidflex

Guru
Great to see the 9.2 beta out, I hope the final is out by the end of the year. Really looking forward to the jail enhancements, especially the ability to update plugins.

amires

Explorer
Well dang it! I thought we'd fixed most of those issues. Is there a bug tracking the symptoms you're seeing (and reproduction steps for it, if you can) at bugs.freenas.org? We're literally just days away from releasing our next-to-last build, so it would be really nice to be able to knock this one down beforehand!

Thanks.

Well, I initially filed ticket https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3518 since I saw this issue on CentOS now that I have tried other linux jails I noticed that all of them have this issue. The jail starts without an ip address assigned to eth0 when I try to add an ip address manually I get the following error :

Cannot open netlink socket: Address family not supported by protocol

I also can see the following in the console :

linux: pid 7628 (touch): syscall utimensat not implemented
linux: pid 7635 (sort): syscall prlimit64 not implemented
linux: pid 7660 (touch): syscall utimensat not implemented
linux: pid 7666 (tar): syscall utimensat not implemented
linux: pid 7670 (sort): syscall prlimit64 not implemented
linux: pid 7707 (touch): syscall utimensat not implemented
bridge0: Ethernet address: 02:69:e9:71:58:00
bridge0: link state changed to UP
em0: promiscuous mode enabled
epair0a: Ethernet address: 02:c5:9c:00:05:0a
epair0b: Ethernet address: 02:c5:9c:00:06:0b
epair0a: link state changed to UP
epair0b: link state changed to UP
epair0a: promiscuous mode enabled
linux: pid 7851 (ifconfig): ioctl fd=3, cmd=0x8914 ('\M^I',20) is not implemented
linux: pid 7851 (ifconfig): ioctl fd=3, cmd=0x891c ('\M^I',28) is not implemented
linux: pid 7876 (ifconfig): ioctl fd=3, cmd=0x8914 ('\M^I',20) is not implemented
linux: pid 7876 (ifconfig): ioctl fd=3, cmd=0x8914 ('\M^I',20) is not implemented
linux: pid 7885 (route): ioctl fd=3, cmd=0x890b ('\M^I',11) is not implemented
linux: pid 7886 (arp): ioctl fd=3, cmd=0x8955 ('\M^I',85) is not implemented
linux: pid 7900 (touch): syscall utimensat not implemented
linux: pid 7901 (touch): syscall utimensat not implemented
linux: pid 7902 (touch): syscall utimensat not implemented
linux: pid 8341 (ifconfig): ioctl fd=6, cmd=0x891d ('\M^I',29) is not implemented
linux: pid 8341 (ifconfig): ioctl fd=6, cmd=0x8970 ('\M^I',112) is not implemented
linux: pid 8341 (ifconfig): ioctl fd=6, cmd=0x8970 ('\M^I',112) is not implemented
linux: pid 8341 (ifconfig): ioctl fd=6, cmd=0x8942 ('\M^I',66) is not implemented
linux: pid 8341 (ifconfig): ioctl fd=6, cmd=0x891d ('\M^I',29) is not implemented
linux: pid 8341 (ifconfig): ioctl fd=6, cmd=0x8942 ('\M^I',66) is not implemented

No matter which linux jail I use, I always get the same error message. Freebsd jails plugin, port and standard work without any kind of networking issues.

J

jkh

Thanks! I've re-opened #3518 since I think it was actually erroneously thought that this was a problem purely with the CentOS jail, but obviously you're seeing it with all Linux jails! We'll get to the bottom of this one... We appreciate you filing the bug and also following up on it, since we'd have otherwise thought it was fixed when it wasn't!

amires

Explorer
Thanks! I've re-opened #3518 since I think it was actually erroneously thought that this was a problem purely with the CentOS jail, but obviously you're seeing it with all Linux jails! We'll get to the bottom of this one... We appreciate you filing the bug and also following up on it, since we'd have otherwise thought it was fixed when it wasn't!

Thanks for re-opening the ticket. I would also like to add that I am doing my testings on vmware workstation I have not tried it on a real pc however since freebsd jails are working so I dont guess that could be issue.

Yatti420

Wizard
Python seems to be causing the increased load averages compared to 9.1.1..

J

jkh

Well, I initially filed ticket https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3518 since I saw this issue on CentOS now that I have tried other linux jails I noticed that all of them have this issue.

OK, one thing to try. It was discovered that vimage and linux jails were incompatible, and yesterday's nightly now makes it impossible to select vimage for a linux jail at all. Since your linux jail(s) are older, do you perhaps have vimage enabled? Can you try turning it off in the jail configuration for these jails and see if the problem goes away?

Thanks!

amires

Explorer
OK, one thing to try. It was discovered that vimage and linux jails were incompatible, and yesterday's nightly now makes it impossible to select vimage for a linux jail at all. Since your linux jail(s) are older, do you perhaps have vimage enabled? Can you try turning it off in the jail configuration for these jails and see if the problem goes away?

Thanks!

OK I tried ubuntu jail without vimage, still the same issue. You can see commands I entered and the results I got below :

# ifconfig
bridge: error fetching interface information: Invalid argument
# ip addr add 192.168.1.101/24 dev eth0
Cannot open netlink socket: Address family not supported by protocol
# dmesg
dmesg: klogctl failed: Function not implemented
#

I also tried with and without NAT and it didnt make any difference.

UPDATE 1 :
I can now confirm that without vimage even though I am getting the above error messages however networking is indeed working. Thanks to John Hixon for giving the hint which I am quoting below :

Linux jails were being started as VIMAGE jails, which does not work (networking wise). This issue has been addressed. I took the liberty of adding CentOS back since I have confirmed it now works. You will not be able to change the IP address of a Linux jail from within the Linux jail, you will need to do so from either the GUI or using the Warden utility from the command line. Also, ping will not work, but networking does indeed work. You can confirm this by installing various network services and hitting the IP address, or creating a user and SSH'ing into the jail.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'll never understand why Ubuntu 13.04 is used instead of 12.04(Hint: it's an LTS) as 13.04 is dead as of February. Why even bother supporting an OS that will be maintained for less than 90 days?

jyavenard

Patron
12.04 is "supported" for 5 years, but in effect it's almost frozen on what it was 2 years ago. It won't get any updates such as package version bump etc... Qt is one component that often requires people to live on the bleeding edge.
Centos or Rhel 5; are stuck on Qt 4.6 which makes it too old for lots of newer applications.

It's also much easier in my experience to progressively support all releases as they come, than only support LTS: the upgrade path becomes very steep otherwise and it's something you'll have to do anyway.

So from a development perspective, it makes sense to support the latest version.
It sure seems to indicate that freenas is moving from an appliance type utility, into a fully fledge OS

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So far you're the only person I've met that's tried to argue for the latest over an LTS. Interesting nonetheless. I'm less concerned with having the latest packages and more interested with packages that have security and bug fixes(of which there will definitely be zero as of February). LTS is Long Term Support for a reason...

jyavenard

Patron
I personally run LTS myself. I just had to use the latest version from time to time (usually run them in a VM). And as part of my development work on Linux, you have to use the latest and greatest: you can't add new feature to an application only when a new LTS is ready: you got to have it available when the new distribution come.
Especially with Linux having the nasty habit of changing their API extremely often. Or Ubuntu changing how things are controlled / organised with every new version. The way you start/stop services as completely changed between 10.04 and 12.04; and then again in 13.10.

14.04 will have more in common with 13.10 than with 12.04.

I've never had a 100% smooth upgrade from one LTS to the next. There's always something that broke, and broke hard. Last time it was lirc (the infrared framework); it changed from being a user app into a kernel module: syntax of configuration file changed, IR code changed.. They also changed desktop manager radically.
If you upgrade small each time: it's less work

That's something you can blissfully ignored when using FreeBSD. 8.x to 9.x upgrade was painless.

But it's all off-topic.

I'll play with the Linux jails today, and see what's going on

Status
Not open for further replies.