FreeNAS 9.2.0-RC now available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

Hi Folks,

It gives us great pleasure to announce the first public release of FreeNAS 9.2.0: FreeNAS 9.2.0-RC!

As the name implies, this is the next-to-final image of 9.2.0. If nothing significantly wrong is discovered with this image, it will become the official release! We did go through a bit of a rough patch after 9.2.0-BETA went out as we we reorganized a few things and took on some last-minute performance improvements we felt to be worth the risk, but we feel this is all ironed out now. Please please test this release as extensively as you can so that any remaining issues can be worked out before 9.2.0-RELEASE is rolled (hopefully in just 2 weeks, depending on how this testing goes). This is literally our last chance to find and fix anything serious before 9.2.0 goes "production status" for the general public!
Since 9.1.1 was released, we have fixed 195 bugs in the bug tracker, as well as countless others that were found and fixed independently of the bug tracking system.
We have also made a number of enhancements to the UI and generally done our best to bring more polish to the FreeNAS system, both in usability and performance. Those doing benchmarks against 9.1.1 and 9.2.0-RC should notice some measurable improvements on any reasonably capable hardware, particularly (new in 9.2.0-RC) with encryption performance on modern CPUs that supports AESNI instructions. ZFS write performance has also been improved in general!
The documentation is currently being adapted for 9.2.0, so some rough edges still exist there. In particular, the new FreeNAS API docs are still a little out of sync with what’s on the web site so please see the documentation that comes with the source code (see release notes) for the most up-to-date and definitive documentation.

Should you encounter any bugs in this release, or wish to submit enhancement requests, please visit http://bugs.freenas.org and by all means file a bug! We use the bug tracking system quite religiously and screen bugs on a daily basis, so filing a bug report is the best way of making sure that any issues do not get lost!

We also have the FreeNAS forums for general discussion and encourage everyone to use them. Finally, the FreeNAS developers also hang out in the #freenas IRC channel on FreeNode in their copious spare time should you wish to discuss things more in real-time.

We are very proud of this release and the hard work that has gone into it! We are also tremendously grateful to the many people who have taken the time to file bugs, fix bugs and send us pull requests, post helpful comments in the FreeNAS forums, or otherwise be a part of the ever-growing FreeNAS community. You folks are what make it fun! Thanks!

If you didn’t follow the link in the first line, the bits are in http://iso.cdn.freenas.org/9.2.0/RC/

Regards,

- The FreeNAS Engineering Team

Release Notes for FreeNAS 9.2.0-RC
  • The Kernel UMA allocator is now the default for ZFS. This results in higher ZFS performance.
  • Avahi (multicast DNS, aka Bonjour) registration of all services, including the web service, means you no longer need to have a head on the box to know its IP address, even for initial configuration. freenas.local is the default (or freenas-n.local, where n is the # of freenas.local machines already on the local network). This can be changed by changing the hostname.
  • The built-in admin user account is no longer used and the Admin Account removed. The first time the FreeNAS graphical interface is accessed, a pop-up menu will prompt for the root password. Subsequent logins to the graphical interface will require this password.
  • The plugin system now offers in-place updates for plugins, also
    segregating installed plugins from available plugins to make the UI
    less cluttered.
  • A complete REST API has been created for FreeNAS, allowing a FreeNAS instance to be controlled remotely. See examples/api in the FreeNAS source repository (https://github.com/freenas/freenas/tree/master) for some examples of this in action. Complete API docs are available in docs/api.
  • The "Permit Sudo" field has been added to the add and edit screens for Users and Groups. A column in View Groups and View Users now indicates whether or not "Permit Sudo" has been set.
  • HTTP and HTTPS access to the FreeNAS graphical interface are no longer mutually exclusive. The fields "WebGUI HTTP Port" and "WebGUI HTTPS Port" have been added to System Settings -> General.
  • An "Edit" button has been added to the "Hostname" field of SystemInformation to make the hostname easier to change.
  • The results from the latest ZFS scrub now appear in Volume Status.
  1. The Add Apple (AFP) Share menu has been simplified and a "Default umask" option has been added.
  2. The "Server Name" field has also been removed from AFP; in Netatalk 3, this value is automatically derived from the system hostname.
  3. "Enable home directories" and "Home directories" options added to AFP.
  • The AIO options have been removed from CIFS.
  • Samba has been updated to version 3.6.21
  • Fourteen TLS-related fields have been added to the Advanced Mode of FTP.
  • An "IPv4 Address" column has been added to the View Jails screen.
  • A shell button has been added to Jails, making it easy to access the command line of the selected jail.
  • A "Create directory" checkbox has been added to the Add Storage function of a jail so that the user does not have to first access the jail's shell to make sure that the directory already exists. A "Read-Only" checkbox has also been added to this screen.
  • A jails templating system has been added, allowing the quick deployment of new jails from existing templates and the ability to create custom templates. Linux jail support has also been added and installation templates are included for Debian-7.1.0, Gentoo-20130820, Ubuntu-13.04, Centos-6.4, Fedora-19, and Suse-12.3.
  • A link to the online FreeBSD manual pages has been added to Help.
  • Added bxe(4) driver for Broadcom NetXtreme II Ethernet 10Gb PCIe adapter.
  • Added padlock(4) driver which provides cryptographic hardware acceleration for VIA C3, C7 and Eden processors.
  • Improved performance of encrypted ZFS volumes. ZFS write performance in general has also been improved (with or without encryption).
  • The iSCSI options have been updated to ensure the GUI constraints match the daemon constraints. In particular the GUI limited the number of sessions and the number of connections to a low value that may need to be increased if there are large numbers of targets or clients or both.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
My palms are sweaty..... is this normal?

Yatti420

Wizard
Downloading now.. I had vfs.zfs.zio.use_uma=1 enabled from previous release.. Should this be kept?

The load avg looks good.. Should be very usable..

J

jkh

Downloading now.. I had vfs.zfs.zio.use_uma=1 enabled from previous release.. Should this be kept?

You can if you like - it does no harm, but it's also the default now so you can simply delete it as it is redundant!

Yatti420

Wizard
Ahh thanks.. Yes just re-read it.. Deleted and working well..

pmb

Cadet
I've noticed one new "feature" that might cause some problem for new users if they don't read "What's New" document:
USB 3.0 support is disabled by default as it currently is not compatible with some hardware, including Haswell (Lynx point) chipsets. To enable USB 3.0 support, create a Tunable named xhci_load, set its value to YES, and reboot the system.​

Suppose there might be some posts/bugs that it was working and now doesn't. :rolleyes:

J

jkh

I've noticed one new "feature" that might cause some problem for new users if they don't read "What's New" document:
USB 3.0 support is disabled by default as it currently is not compatible with some hardware, including Haswell (Lynx point) chipsets. To enable USB 3.0 support, create a Tunable named xhci_load, set its value to YES, and reboot the system.​

Suppose there might be some posts/bugs that it was working and now doesn't. :rolleyes:

Yeah, good point and good catch. I've copied that into the ReleaseNotes! Thanks.

ZFS Noob

Contributor
What is the default root password?

I just installed it for the first time, and if I recall correctly there was no password required to login, but the alert light @ the upper right was on to notify me to choose a password.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
What is the default root password?

• The built-in admin user account is no longer used and the Admin Account removed. The first time the FreeNAS graphical interface is accessed, a pop-up menu will prompt for the root password. Subsequent logins to the graphical interface will require this password.
Not trying to be a wise ass. Not sure if you missed this. As far as actual hands on, I got nothing.

tmueko

Explorer
Great News!
I wanted to test a long awaitend feature: Spotlight support in Netatalk.
Is netatalk compiled with spotlight support?
Will the command line tools be available (they have a lot of dependencies)?

diedrichg

Wizard
Well, I knew I shouldn't have upgraded, now I'm locked out. After the reboot I got the prompt that the admin account was going to be disabled and to enter a password. I did. Now at the login screen I can't login. I've tried root as the user, I've tried my old admin user name, I've tried admin as the user and I know exactly what I set as the password so I am pretty upset as to why I can't access the GUI.

I can hook a monitor to the box. What are my options? What are the steps to reset this GUI password? What is the user name for the GUI login?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your username should be root and the password whatever you entered.

If you go locally to the machine there's an option on the machine to reset the GUI password. Choose that.

sybreeder

Explorer
Anyone of you tested new freenas with esxi ? I've noticed that 9.2 RC doesn't work with vmxnet3 nic. I've tested couple times -through upgrade from 9.1.1, fresh install . I've tried to install vm tools couple times. Freenas just doesn't recognize that NIC.When i go back to 9.1.1 - everything works perfectly.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Status
Not open for further replies.