FreeNAS-9.10.2 update failed - cannot use GUI interface now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Intellys

Dabbler
Sorry to go "off-topic"...

I have given up on USB sticks. Why? Last week one of my USB sticks (I have 2 of them in mirror) failed again. And we are talking about a good brand and model (Sandisk Ultra Fit 16 GB ). I spend around 20 euro's for the 2 of them. During my use of Freenas I lost already 3 sticks due to failure. Having enough of it I bought a small (60 GB) Corsair SSD for 30 euro's (new in the box of a bankruptcy estate) and hope to be done with it. I agree that even a 60 GB SSD is overkill for Freenas but looking at the relatively small costs and the expected improved reliability I feel it's worth it.
Great advice. I have two small 80 GB Intel SSDs. The cost is irrelevant since I know that USB sticks have failed me in the past in mass quantities.

I am actually going to be running FreeNAS as a FibreChannel target for my corporate infrastructure. With commodity hardware I can get the same performance as a multi-million dollar SAN device with unlimited expand-ability. The choice was that I spend 1.5 million dollars to upgrade my current SAN or build a SAN from scratch using a few refurbished 8Gb SAN switches, and some beefy storage devices with FreeNAS spending under $100,000. The choice is very clear.

My next pursuit is to build one on FreeNAS 11 (going to do that today and tomorrow).

Status
Not open for further replies.