FreeNAS-9.10.2 update failed - cannot use GUI interface now

Status
Not open for further replies.

takkischitt

Explorer
Hi

I just applied the FreeNAS-9.10.2 update, but there seems to be a problem. Everything seemed to go OK, until I activated the new version and rebooted the system.

When it restarted, I am getting a critical alert. There is also the following message in the main window of the web interface:

{"events": [], "error": true, "message": "Error: no such column: system_advanced.adv_fqdn_syslog"}

Please see the following screenshot:

uqr0PeE.png

I also have the 'update.failed' file from /data/, if this is of help to anyone. Wasn't sure if I should upload it onto these forums to be visible publicly(?)

D

dlavigne

You should be able to boot into your previous boot environment.

Also, please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org that includes that error message and post the issue number here.

takkischitt

Explorer
You should be able to boot into your previous boot environment.

Also, please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org that includes that error message and post the issue number here.

When I click on any of the menu items on the left, nothing happens.

Bug report created: Bug #19971. It wouldn't let me upload the 'update.failed' file.

D

dlavigne

You can also select a different boot environment from the boot menu when the system boots.

takkischitt

Explorer
You can also select a different boot environment from the boot menu when the system boots.

Sorry, not seeing that option on the web interface.

takkischitt

Explorer

Bisquit

Dabbler
I opened the shell from the left menu in FreeNAS and typed every line one by one. Rebooted and I had access to the webgui again. After that I deleted the 9.10.2 BE.
I think it can be done via ssh as well, haven't tried that. SSH should be enabled ofcourse, you need the gui if you haven't enabled it before.

takkischitt

Explorer
I opened the shell from the left menu in FreeNAS and typed every line one by one. Rebooted and I had access to the webgui again. After that I deleted the 9.10.2 BE.
I think it can be done via ssh as well, haven't tried that. SSH should be enabled ofcourse, you need the gui if you haven't enabled it before.

Just tried that and now I cannot access the system at all. Web page is timing out and any shares are no longer accessible :eek:

I have just plugged in a monitor and the only thing coming on the screen is the following:

PXBBADD.jpg

Last edited:

Bisquit

Dabbler
Sorry to hear that, it worked for me. You can always do a reinstall on a (new) USB stick and restore a backup of your config. Or maybe some of the senior guys here can help you with this problem.

takkischitt

Explorer
Have I lost all the data that I had on the NAS??

takkischitt

Explorer
Would anyone have any advice on this? I need the NAS to be running and really need the information stored on it.

gpsguy

Your data should be fine.

As Bisquit told you, re-install FreeNAS on a new flash drive and restore your old configuration file.

Have I lost all the data that I had on the NAS??

takkischitt

Explorer
Thankfully, all seems to be working again after reinstalling FreeNAS on the flash drive and restoring config backup.

Thanks for everyones help!

gpsguy

Glad to hear it's up and running again.

Btw, if you reused your existing flash drive, buy a couple of quality spares to have on hand in case of an emergency.

spivster

Cadet
I am having the same issue with the same error {"events": [], "error": true, "message": "Error: no such column: system_advanced.adv_fqdn_syslog"} I have tried the fixes provided in the forum but I am still unable to upgrade my 9.3 to 9.10 successfully. Does anyone have a solution on how to get past this. Thanks.

Evertb1

Guru
I have tried the fixes provided in the forum but I am still unable to upgrade my 9.3 to 9.10 successfully. Does anyone have a solution on how to get past this. Thanks.
Then don't upgrade. Download the version you want to have and perform a new clean install. Should not take much time. Less time anyway then struggling with an unwilling upgrade. I assume of course that you have taken care that your config file was saved before the update action. I have done this a couple of times with no problem at all. The download of old Freenas versions should not be hard to find. https://downloads/freenas.org/

Evertb1

Guru
Glad to hear it's up and running again.

Btw, if you reused your existing flash drive, buy a couple of quality spares to have on hand in case of an emergency.
I have given up on USB sticks. Why? Last week one of my USB sticks (I have 2 of them in mirror) failed again. And we are talking about a good brand and model (Sandisk Ultra Fit 16 GB ). I spend around 20 euro's for the 2 of them. During my use of Freenas I lost already 3 sticks due to failure. Having enough of it I bought a small (60 GB) Corsair SSD for 30 euro's (new in the box of a bankruptcy estate) and hope to be done with it. I agree that even a 60 GB SSD is overkill for Freenas but looking at the relatively small costs and the expected improved reliability I feel it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.