Natalie Cooper

Dabbler
So I just looked up the serial number and this is what it came back with

HP Micro G7 N36L NHP 250GB EU

styno

Patron

Natalie Cooper

Dabbler
I was reading this blog post and it looks like this guy got it to work on the same server but was using 8.x

woould that be upgradeble to 10

styno

Patron
FreeNas 8 is really old, try not to go there.
What I would do if I were you:
1. breathe! ;)
2. quickly try to boot https://download.freenas.org/9.10/RELEASE/x64/FreeNAS-9.10-RELEASE.iso
3. make sure the machine is up2date in terms of bios/firmware/... Now you have entered the serial at HP, you should be able to see and download the latest versions.
4. retry
5. if all of the above fails, is there a cd/dvd present in the microserver? Can you boot from there?

Natalie Cooper

Dabbler
1. breathe! ;)
2. quickly try to boot https://download.freenas.org/9.10/RELEASE/x64/FreeNAS-9.10-RELEASE.iso
3. make sure the machine is up2date in terms of bios/firmware/... Now you have entered the serial at HP, you should be able to see and download the latest versions.
4. retry
5. if all of the above fails, is there a cd/dvd present in the microserver? Can you boot from there?

Breathing :)

Ok so I cant download the BIOS without paying for a warranty, so thats a no go.

I have a USB CD drive, so could try that if you can suggest something

styno

Patron
Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP

Natalie Cooper

Dabbler
Ok So
Breathing :)

Ok so I cant download the BIOS without paying for a warranty, so thats a no go.

I have a USB CD drive, so could try that if you can suggest something
1. breathe! ;)
4. retry

Ok I have just downloaded and tried the iso above. Made a USB key with Win32Imager, booted and Nothing.

I have a DVD drive but its an apple Super Drive (from my husbands mac) but I seem to remember n the past this does not work to boot from.

So to be honest, I think we have exhasuted all options. Its simply not going to work. :( Guess I will just have to not use FreeNAS.

styno

Patron

Natalie Cooper

Dabbler
Ok So the BIOS Has been updated its now 10/01/2013... Tried again and nothing

Just had a thought though.. I am wondering if its the graphics driver not loading correctly .. The reason being is that i did not see the screen come up for the bios (i.e it did the same thing just went off ) but yet it did update. So I am wondering if its just not reaching the screen where the installation should happen.

No you see I have my Server connected to the TV via a VGA to HDMI adapter, and for some reason it seems that it just does not reach the next screen.

Although if its just a standard linux install screen it should work. Ubuntu etc works by getting to the next screen as does Windows so I am wondering if it actually is booting but just not displaying on the screen

Natalie Cooper

Dabbler
But it worked before! :mad:

yes it did.. Which is why I am so frustrated. See my post above.. the only thing I can think of is the graphics adapter.. I am sure last time i did it I just used a standard VGA screen which I no longer have and using the TV now. But this server only has VGA so I am using a converter from VGA to HDMI and I wonder if something is up with that

Redcoat

MVP
yes it did.. Which is why I am so frustrated. See my post above.. the only thing I can think of is the graphics adapter.. I am sure last time i did it I just used a standard VGA screen which I no longer have and using the TV now. But this server only has VGA so I am using a converter from VGA to HDMI and I wonder if something is up with that

You say you can boot the server into other operating systems, Is that with the hardware configuration (using the TV and VGA/HDMI convertor) you have now in place, so that it's only your FreeNAS stick that will not boot "to completion"?

styno

Patron
If you boot into Ubuntu and press alt-shift-(some f-key), does it comes back with a text-mode login prompt? Maybe idd only a graphical GUI is displayed correctly on your TV set.

Natalie Cooper

Dabbler
You say you can boot the server into other operating systems, Is that with the hardware configuration (using the TV and VGA/HDMI convertor) you have now in place, so that it's only your FreeNAS stick that will not boot "to completion"?

Yes thats correct.. if I use Ubuntu, Windows, CentOS all boot correctly and install to completion with that same configuration. I just tried ubuntu and works well with that config on that server

styno

Patron
Just to be sure, you booted Ubuntu in graphical mode, not in text mode?

Natalie Cooper

Dabbler
If you boot into Ubuntu and press alt-shift-(some f-key), does it comes back with a text-mode login prompt? Maybe idd only a graphical GUI is displayed correctly on your TV set.

Well the BIOS Screen shows correctly on that config and also it works (installs throught to completion_ BUT NOT FREE NAS.

Just tried the Same OpenNAS Stick on a different computer and it works .. But cant use that computer as it only has a 160GB drive in it

Natalie Cooper

Dabbler

Yes it does.. It comes back with the command prompt.. Black screen with white lettering .

Status
Not open for further replies.