SOLVED FreeNAS 9.10.2 install does not boot on HP Microserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

styno

Patron
You are starting to confuse me:
Just tried the Same OpenNAS Stick on a different computer and it works .. But cant use that computer as it only has a 160GB drive in it
- What is OpenNAS?
- The stick and FreeNAS works on a different computer and it once worked on the HP system, so you have to figure out what changed on the last system.
- You have a 2nd computer, can't you use the monitor of that system instead of your TV set and rule that out?

Well I used the UBUNTU Workstation CD and it works well, So its kind of that graphical (text screen) ..
You told me you didn't have a CD and now you are using an Ubuntu CD?

Natalie Cooper

Dabbler
You are starting to confuse me:

- What is OpenNAS?
- The stick and FreeNAS works on a different computer and it once worked on the HP system, so you have to figure out what changed on the last system.
- You have a 2nd computer, can't you use the monitor of that system instead of your TV set and rule that out?

You told me you didn't have a CD and now you are using an Ubuntu CD?

Sorry I meant the ISO .. I dont have a CD that works (I only have the Apple Smart DVD thingy and that does not boot on windows.

Natalie Cooper

Dabbler
All that happens is when it tries to boot, it after bios, the TV Screen (Comes back with that standard Samsung screen about No Signal on HDMI2/DVI and check the connections. and thats it.. The light on the Stick flashes .
So its almost as if for some reason its loosing connection to the display as soon as it boots. BUT ONLY IN FreeNas

Natalie Cooper

Dabbler
All that happens is when it tries to boot, it after bios, the TV Screen (Comes back with that standard Samsung screen about No Signal on HDMI2/DVI and check the connections. and thats it.. The light on the Stick flashes .
So its almost as if for some reason its loosing connection to the display as soon as it boots. BUT ONLY IN FreeNas

Also I am just installing the UBUNTU 16.04 SERVER now without a UI and so far its going through like a charm. ,

Natalie Cooper

Dabbler
My husband is going to bring home a monitor from work tomorrow so we can test it on that just to rule out the TV thing.. also will go and buy a DVD rom so I can get it on that as well to try..

I am determined to get this working

Redcoat

MVP
So doesn't one want to suspect the file on the FreeNAS stick? Also assuming that The OpenNAS reference was a mistake, BTW...

I believe that I would download a fresh ISO file for 9.10.2 -U2, reformat the stick to FAT32 just to clean it up, then use Rufus 2.12 to make a new image, and try the exercise again.

Natalie Cooper

Dabbler
So doesn't one want to suspect the file on the FreeNAS stick? Also assuming that The OpenNAS reference was a mistake, BTW...

I believe that I would download a fresh ISO file for 9.10.2 -U2, reformat the stick to FAT32 just to clean it up, then use Rufus 2.12 to make a new image, and try the exercise again.

Hiya yes I am tried now. so not thinking .. Open Nas = FreeNas.

Can you tell me what settings in RUFUS I shoud be using .. ?

Also with reference to the other PC we are using, its the one that the is sitting by the TV that we use for watching movies so also uses the TV Screen (BUT DIRECTLY into HDMI). I removed the hard drive (just incase ) and booted from the memory stick and it worked just fine. So dont think its the stick .. or image .. but why would it not install on this server when its installed before

Redcoat

MVP
Hmmm... given that enhanced info about the trials, I would wonder about the USB port in the target server and/or that in the stick, but if you used the other OS sticks in that same port it makes it less likely that it's a hard problem. I'd try a new image file anyway - Rufus - choose your stick, UDF for file system, default cluster, use ISO image, and go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Natalie Cooper

Dabbler
Ok so an update.. I have just downloaded and SUCCESSFULLY installed NAS4Free on this server.. So that tells me there is 100% something wrong with the ISO image(s) or the way its been made onto the stick. Because if I am able to successfully install ALL other OS's including NAS4Free which i believe is the same code base and they all 100% work and install on that server. SO why not FreeNAS. It simply cannot be my server or the memory stick, or ports ... Just does not make any sense at all .

#confused and Upset... because I really want to use FreeNAS so there MUST be a way it will install.

Its the same stick, same port same everything.. Worked first time with NO issues.

Redcoat

MVP
Yes, it does sound like your image file. Which version are you currently trying to install - I've lost track?

Natalie Cooper

Dabbler
Hmmm... given that enhanced info about the trials, I would wonder about the USB port in the target server and/or that in the stick, but if you used the other OS sticks in that same port it makes it less likely that it's a hard problem. I'd tytr a new image file anyway - Rufus - choose your stick, UDF for file system, default cluster, use ISO image, and go.

UDF for the file system ? When I select this option it greyes out the option for selecting the ISO

Natalie Cooper

Dabbler
Yes, it does sound like your image file. Which version are you currently trying to install - I've lost track?

OMG so have I .. I have tried 10 Corral, 9.10, 9.3 even some 8.. NONE Of them work. I have downloaded a new file everytime.. So I doubt its the ISO , surely they cant all be corrupt.. It must be the way its writing it to the USB that is making it not bootable or something .. I cannot think of any other reason why it would not work.

used the same stick for ubuntu, windows and Nas$Free... each time formatting it before starting.. made them with either rufus or win32imager and all worked,,,, no matter which way program i use for FreeNas, does the same

Redcoat

MVP

Redcoat

MVP
OMG so have I .. I have tried 10 Corral, 9.10, 9.3 even some 8.. NONE Of them work. I have downloaded a new file everytime.. So I doubt its the ISO , surely they cant all be corrupt.. It must be the way its writing it to the USB that is making it not bootable or something .. I cannot think of any other reason why it would not work.

Makes no sense to me if you have tried versions back that far (8). All with the same stick? Did you let Rufus check for bad blocks (the first option under formats)?

Natalie Cooper

Dabbler
Ok hubby said he will bring a stick home as well so we will try something else. Tbh I doubt its the stick though

Redcoat

MVP
Yes, leave no stone unturned time ... good luck, let us know how it turns out. I'll be ready to raise a pint with you when you get it.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
No file system, the binary is meant to be written directly to USB. It includes partition tables and bootcode. Windows makes this difficult, although Win32DiskImager does it correctly.

Natalie Cooper

Dabbler
No file system, the binary is meant to be written directly to USB. It includes partition tables and bootcode. Windows makes this difficult, although Win32DiskImager does it correctly.
Ok so you saying I should not be using RUFUS (Because I have tried making it again with Win32Imager and STILL DOES NOT WORK. Just gets past POST and Screen says no signal. I just cant understand why this is so hard. Cant they make it just work like everything else. :) I never have issues with Making USB sticks from ISOs they work everytime but this one is just so difficult.

Even NAS4Free on the same (or similar code base) works just fine. But not this.

Status
Not open for further replies.