SOLVED FreesNas 9.3 on HP MicroServer Gen8 (Workaround rather than Solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iandoug

Dabbler
Hi

Trying to build my third FreeNas box.
Server is new HP Microserver Gen8. 16 GB HP ECC Ram. (ouch.)
Downloaded FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011.iso, hash is correct.
Burned to two different USB thumb drives with UnetBootin (Linux), and booted server.
Eventually get to a blue screen offering "Default" or "FreeNAS installer".

At that point things die. Default just loops, while FreeNas option flashes a message at the bottom about failing because it can't find ubninit (I think ... it's very fast).

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a problem with that particular release?
All the walkthroughs I found via Google show a Grub boot screen, and I don't have that...

BIOS is set to boot from USB. Have not fiddled otherwise with server (ILO/RAID conf/whatever).... pure vanilla out the box.

Any ideas gratefully received :smile:

Thanks, Ian

D

dlavigne

Try using dd instead, as per the Guide. Last I checked, unetbootin didn't work for FreeNAS.

Iandoug

Dabbler
Oh well. When it also failed with the USB mounted internally, I gave up and tested if the server would boot off a USB CD-ROM. Yes.
So wrote FreeNas installer to disk, and it appears to be installing.

Possibly the micro-SD card installed internally (which is where FreeNas is going to live) confused it too much.

Booting via the disk gave me the Grub screen.

So I'll mark this as "workaround" rather than "solved." It now wants me to reboot so so far so good.

Cheers, Ian

Iandoug

Dabbler
Try using dd instead, as per the Guide. Last I checked, unetbootin didn't work for FreeNAS.

Um, the guides I checked said that with 9.3 that method would not work any more since there is now only an .iso file?

Thanks anyway :smile:

Cheers, Ian

javcarbe

Dabbler
I ve a HP Proliant ML 350 G6 and I cant boot free nas.. any idea... I will try tonight to boot from the sd card, since doesnt boot from the cd drive...
Maybe i will try old version

Iandoug

Dabbler
@javcarbe, I have the ML 310 G8 and had no trouble installing CentOS via DVD. Did you configure the BIOS to allow booting from CD drive, and are you able to boot something else (eg a linux distro), or is it only FreeNas that won't boot?

Iandoug

Dabbler
I presume you verified the SHA256 of the downloaded file, as well as verified the disk after you burned it?
Sounds to me like either the download or the burn was faulty ....

Status
Not open for further replies.