FreeNAS-8.0.1-BETA3

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordie2011

Dabbler
on my volume permissions they are root and wheel

the cif share permissions are set to www. is this correct?

strange thing is i changed all the permissions to something else applied changes then changed them back to what they were, restarted system and the shares are working again, i am totally confused now? any ideas??

thanks

Milhouse

Guru
My CIFS share permissions are set to nobody. My Volume permissions are set to a valid user/group (ie. neil/neil). I haven't tried changing these permissions in BETA3 - all I have done is restore a config backed up under BETA2.

geordie2011

Dabbler
i cannot even seem to change permissions on volumes any more everything is ticked apart from write group and other, if i change it it says succesful but i cannot write anything to it anymore any ideas?? thanks

geordie2011

Dabbler
this is weird i do not have it but if i type it in manually saving changes it then appears each time?

Milhouse

Guru
nobody is definitely a valid FreeNAS account, this from /etc/passwd:
Code:
nobody:*:65534:65534:Unprivileged user:/nonexistent:/usr/sbin/nologin

It's as it says on the tin... an unprivileged account. It's usually the account that squashed root access defaults to on most *nix systems (not sure what the standard is for FreeBSD) and I was more than happy to use nobody in place of some other possibly more privileged account on my CIFS shares as I'll only be accessing them with authentication (I've disabled guest access too)...

geordie2011

Dabbler
that is really weird, it still works if i manually type it but its not prepopulated on the list strange!

J

jpaetzel

Ok, we've identified a few issues and will be releasing a service pack to address them shortly. (Hopefully by tomorrow)

1) In an attempt to make windows happy with ACLs it seems that chmod broke, this affects setting permissions on shares.

2) Handling of lagg interfaces is less than ideal to say the least, a change was made to how mtu's are handled that had negative repercussions to existing setups, and to add insult to injury wasn't even needed.

3) A problem has been identified with device extents and iSCSI and how they were stored in the database.

4) The middleware was missing a method for the smartd service, preventing it from operating properly.

The impact:

1) Some types of permissions can not be set from the GUI, for instance setting execute permissions on group or other. Existing permissions aren't touched on upgrade, and chmod/chown from the CLI works properly.

2) Existing lagg setups can stop working, and the procedure to get them working again is a tad cumbersome.

3) iSCSI targets that involve sharing raw physical devices can get confused if FreeBSD reorders the device names.

4) smartd won't start.

mpi

Cadet
After the installation, the httpd does not really come up and only responds with 503-errors, so httpd not available. From the console I saw several python-import failures related to django. I tried a new installation as well as an upgrade from beta2. But upgrading freezes with an upgrade-db error and reboots.

Is this issue known? Ideas? Beta2 still works.

ProtoSD

MVP
yikes, I hope there's another beta before the final release of 8.01, nothing about beta 3 has worked for me, it's been the biggest PITA of any pre-release version I've tried. I can't boot successfully after doing a clean install from the beta 3 ISO and I can't upgrade to beta 3 from beta 2. I can install from beta 2 ISO, but that's about it. I even thought it was my flash drive and bought 2 more just to test with. When I try to upgrade from beta 2 to beta 3 from the web gui, I either get 'you've successfully installed a new firmware' and after rebooting it still gives the old version name and nothing changed, or I get an 'error' during the upgrade and it just reboots.

I definitely appreciate all the work and the rushed schedule, I'm just saying it needs a bit more polishing before the final release or people are going to lose confidence and give up (not me yet though). I'll put some more dough in the tip jar soon though!

cbray

Explorer
Hey youins
I agree with hoping there's another beta before release of 8.1 but the kinks that were added from beta2 to beta3 seem to be 'small ones'. Unfortunately they seem to have LARGE consequences. I'm sure they will be dealt with quickly by the Dev team. They are on top of this FreeNAS. But really we all need to remember that we're talking about 'BETA" software, you should not expect it to run smooth, but rather accept that there will be big bumps in the road to release. We're here to FIND the bugs so they can be fixed. It's OUR JOB to find out what works and what doesn't, and to do OUR job without bitchin'
My thoughts anyway...
CB

J

jpaetzel

We are trying to provide workable software out to the public. Even though this is a "beta" in some ways it's light years ahead of 8.0-R. It constantly amazes me how good the real world is testing every aspect of your software. :) FreeNAS is a better product for the use and feedback it receives.

So a status update:

We've discovered that the holy grail we were shooting for with permissions and ownership and ACLs simply isn't possible. UNIX and Windows have mutually conflicting requirements. We've been holding a patch or something for the issues in BETA3 for this fix. We are modifying the permissions GUI to allow you to specify if you are setting UNIX or Windows permissions. I suspect that this will be sorted and ready for tomorrow.

We are definitely not ready for a release at this time, as it's clear we are still doing beta quality software. My plan is there will be two public releases that aren't release material, and that's assuming that things go fairly smoothly.

We aren't feature complete, and we are definitely not putting new features into release candidates like we did with 8.0.

At a minimum, if we call tomorrows thing BETA4 (which I'm leaning towards) then there will be at least an RC1 that takes us to feature complete, and depending on how that goes either an RC2 or the Release.

I'm anticipating that there will be quite a bit of time between the thing that we do tomorrow and the RC1, we have a pretty big chunk of functionality to get in, so I'd like tomorrow's roll out to be fairly solid.

PS: When I say tomorrow I guess I really mean I hope tomorrow. If the software isn't ready we'll shoot for Friday.

ProtoSD

MVP
Josh,

I think I can safely say we're all on the edges of our seats and *really really* do appreciate you and your team's efforts. If it takes waiting til Friday I think most of can handle that. If it takes longer that's cool too, I just hate companies like M$ rushing to get stuff out the door that ends up full of bugs and having to wait years or never to get stuff done right. Thanks for giving us an update on your progress!

louis-m

Dabbler
looking forward to it and as already said, thanks for your time and effort here.

would it be possibe for you to expand a little on what you were actually aiming for with the permissions and why it isn't possible?

Nico

Dabbler
Any ETA on the next release?
When i try to change permission on my harddrives so groups can writes to the disk it do not save the settings, is this a bug or do I do something wrong?

cbray

Explorer
I have to 'second that emotion'

josh,

i think i can safely say we're all on the edges of our seats and *really really* do appreciate you and your team's efforts. Thanks for giving us an update on your progress!

I second that! :D

i just hate companies like m$ rushing to get stuff out the door that ends up full of bugs ...

:mad: m$ ONLY sells BETA software... Even as far back as PC-D*S v1.1 (it was quickly followed by v1.25 for another $100).
Now they just change the bumpers, lights and grille then call it this years model. Windoze 2k shipped with over 64,000 documented bugs. This was confirmed by m$ sales rep in my office the day of release (win2k, not my, release:rolleyes:). They still haven't admitted bug total before EOL.

apdragon

Dabbler
AMD Motherboard

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with the FreeNas 8.0 and the Beta versions with an AMD Motherboard with SB700 chipset? I was told by one user that it is currently not supported or has some issues? I have a Foxconn A7GM-S

Nico

Dabbler
Any ETA on the next release?
When i try to change permission on my harddrives so groups can writes to the disk it do not save the settings, is this a bug or do I do something wrong?

anyone? really hope

fortyhands

Cadet
I have this permissions problem as ell. I think here's a way to do this from the command line (chmod, I believe), but I don't know the specifics. I think that's all that's holding me back from using freenas 8 in its current state. I think this might be addressed in beta4.

It's looking great guys, keep up the awesome work!

Status
Not open for further replies.