SOLVED FreeNAS 11 install on a USB stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkme

Contributor
Hi dear FreeNAS Friends,

sorry, I am posting quite a bit right now.

I wonder if you can install FreeNAS VMs yet, but I guess the VM storage and installation will be on the added storage / pool?

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have no idea what your question is as it doesn't appear to pertain at all to the thread title.

EDIT: I agree with your assesment that you are posting quite a bit. While this isn't a bad thing I would request that you do a bit more searching of the forums for these answers. As I said above, I have no clue what you are asking and if I did, I'd be more than happy to guide you to the answer of give the answer up front.

After reading the question I am thinking you are asking if a person can install a VM on FreeNAS 11. Of course you can. If this was the question then might I refer you to the user guide and to search the forums. There is a lot of material on using VMs becasue it's kind-of new and there are issues so people are talking about them and how to resolve those issues.

Last edited:

dirkme

Contributor
I have no idea what your question is as it doesn't appear to pertain at all to the thread title.

I just don't know how to more simplify this.

Another try: Can I use a USB stick (media, drive) to install FreeNAS on it or would that cause too much trouble?

Example, I have to Centos 7 server and both are running on 8 GB USB-Stick and they do just fine.

dirkme

Contributor

That is the whole guide, where would I find USB stick specifics?

Found it in a little blue box ;-)

Any idea how many GB I would need? My Centos 7 server run on 8 GB and I use 6.5 GB max.

Found that too, thanks:

A minimum of 8 GB of space on the boot device is required. However, 32 GB is recommended to provide room for future additions and boot environments. When using mirrored boot devices, it is best to use devices of the same size. If the device sizes are different, the mirror is limited to the size of the smaller device.

danb35

Hall of Famer
So what does installing on a USB stick (which is the subject of this thread, and has been for years the most common way to install FreeNAS) have to do with creating VMs (which is the only thing resembling a question in the body of your post)?

dirkme

Contributor
So what does installing on a USB stick (which is the subject of this thread, and has been for years the most common way to install FreeNAS) have to do with creating VMs (which is the only thing resembling a question in the body of your post)?

If VMs write TMP files, and if it is written on a USB stick it might become too large and or kills the stick through too many write actions.

danb35

Hall of Famer

wblock

Documentation Engineer
USB devices are only recommended for boot devices on FreeNAS, and storage data is not written to the boot device.

Status
Not open for further replies.