FreeNAS-11.3-U4.1 Disk Replacement

welton.ramos

Cadet
Good morning my friends!
I'm using a FreeNAS-11.3-U4.1 file server with a raid mounted with four Seagate ST4000DM005-2DP166 – 4TB disks, but two of them have an Offline uncorrectable sectors message, and I couldn't find the same disks to replace, so I bought them Seagate Ironwolf St4000vn008 – 4TB disks, the question is, to perform the replacement, will the rebuild run even with a different disk? Another question! In the material about the exchange, they inform that the option to leave the disk Offline must be selected, but in this case, should I mark it as Offline, turn off the equipment and change the disk? Or does it accept the exchange with connected equipment?
Material information: https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/coretutorials/storage/disks/diskreplace/
We recommend you offline the disk before starting the replacement. This removes the device from the pool and can prevent swap issues. To offline a disk: Go to Storage > Pools screen. Click on the settings settings icon, and then select Pool Status to display the list of disks in the pools. Click the icon for the disk you plan to remove, and then select Offline. Select Confirm to activate the OFFLINE button, then click OFFLINE. The disk should now be offline. When the disk status shows as Offline, it physically removes the disk from the system. If the replacement disk is not already physically added to the system, add it now. Online the New Disk In the Pool Status, open the options for the offline disk and click Replace

joeschmuck

Old Man
will the rebuild run even with a different disk?
Yes, provided the drive is equal or larger capacity, brand makes no difference.

So the instructions you linked to are for TreuNAS 12/13, not FreeNAS 11, however the steps are basically the same, the screen shots will likely look different. Offline the drive, power down, disconnect the drive, install the new drive, power on and follow the instructions. ALWAYS ! verify the serial number of the drive you are removing before you remove the drive. People screw up by pulling the wrong drivee and wonder why things took a very bad turn. Once the first drive has fully resilvered, then do the same process for the other failing drive. Do not do both drives at the same time, it will take significantly longer to resilver and your data will be at risk.

Last thing... If you can, backup all the data to another device just in case the pool dies before you get it resilvered.

welton.ramos

Cadet
Thank you very much!
Everything worked perfectly, I replaced 3 discs with only one left to complete the pool.

Another question if you can help! Today message appeared in Freenas: Certificate 'freenas_default' is expiring within 9 days. Would there be any tutorial teaching how to generate a new certificate and make the replacement in the tool?