FreeNAS 10 and 9.10 installer reboot problem

strikermed

Dabbler
I have the exact same problem.

I'm running the asus z10pe 16 ws motherboard and I get the same reboot issue.... I've tried everything I could, but wasn't able to get anywhere. Was hoping to run FreeNAS Corral.

Last edited by a moderator:

strikermed

Dabbler
So I have this same issue trying to install 9.1 and corral (the only two versions I tried). I, however found a work around. I virtualized FreeNAS to run on A system that allows pci express pass through. I was going to try ESXi, but it also fails to install on my system, weird!

So what I used is UNRAID to run 2 SSD in an array, and then used its VM feature to install FreeNAS corral. I utilized an HBA to pass through so my disks would pass through without any issues. I have included a step by step guide (with some help from a couple manuals and blog posts). If you want to take a look and have any questions if you just need FreeNAS to be running until there is a fix here it is: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/install-reboots-before-complete.52318/#post-363770

strikermed

Dabbler
As of today I have tried disabling CSM, and also tweaking all CSM settings to attempt to install FreeNAS with no success... I either get a reboot each time, or I get a blank screen and eventually a reboot.

In addition I've pulled all my expansion cards, pulled all drives from SATA, I've disabled SATA in BIOS, I've disabled LAN in BIOS, I've tried changing USB settings, I've used default motherboard settings, I've cleared CMOS... I've contacted ASUS for the very latest update (November of 2016), and still issues with installing FreeNAS on this motherboard. I've tried both the latest stable build and corral in all scenarios.

When I don't have a blank screen here is where it reboots: https://youtu.be/tbilIKWc_yY

S

sef

I don't see any smoking guns, but two things I notice:
  1. There is a watchdog timer. Theoretically it could be going off, but that seems unlikely in the installer. See if you can disable it in the BIOS.
  2. The message about the keyboard resent makes me wonder if later FreeBSD systems don't like the USB controller. I don't know how you'd solve that.