Update to 9.10 sends server into a loop of restarting halfway through loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8633

Cadet
Id like to start by thanking for any help you can give and apologise if i've asked this in the wrong place.
I currently run freenas 9.3 with now no issues (well took lots of reading and learning)
I've tried to update to 9.10. I can successfully update but when it tries to start i hit issues. The machine hits a point on the black load up screen where it just reboots. I've now spent days of trying to read and find out why but with no success. I've Attached a picture from just where it then reboots. Also uploaded a video of it on to youtube so you can see in slow motion from boot to rebooting. https://youtu.be/kTo40fb8atM
I've tried fresh copies. Also tried different storage devices for the os.

Motherboard: Asus Z10PE-D16 WS
Ram: ECC Crucial 2x 16 DDR4 model ct2k16g4rfd4213
Storage Drives: 2x WD 6TB RED + 2x green + blue WD 4TB (i had last two already)
CPU: 2x Intel Xeon QEYP E5 2658 V3 ES 2.0-2.4Ghz 12 Core 24 threads 30MB 105W LGA2011-3
Boot Device: 2x sandisk 32GB usb's (which ive tried several different things)
Case: lianli-343B
PSU: Corsair ax 860

Again many pre thanks. please keep in mind im not very technical but do do my best to learn.

Attachments

• image1 (1).PNG
    image1 (1).PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 263

joeschmuck

Old Man
I would recommend you grab a USB 2.0 flash drive (just a single one) and remove your pair of SanDisk USB drives. Install a clean copy of 9.10 to the drive and see if the system boots up okay. If it fails then I'd write a bug report. If it boots fine, I'd then reboot and verify things are good. If that works then I'd upload your configuration file and reboot. Hopefully it will work. Sometimes an upgrade will not work and it could be the USB flash drives. SanDisk USB 3.0 items are not good to have. Just my opinion.

joeschmuck

Old Man
P.S. That is one heck of a piece of hardware (MB+CPU) for a FreeNAS machine.

R8633

Cadet
Thank you sir for your time. I will try that. And yes I've a habit of over building I agree lol.

Isaias

Dabbler
I have the same problem. All updates applied correctly and when you boot from the new kernel , the server reboots without displaying any error. It does not generate any crash report . If I use the latest kernel version 9.3, it works correctly.

Motherboard: Z9PE-D16 (ASMB6-IKVM) 2XS2011 CPN
Ram: 64 GB ECC kingston DDR3 1333MHz
Storage Drives: 3 raidz with 9 disk CONSTELLATION ES.2 2TB
CPU: XEON E5-2620V2 2.00GHZ
Boot Device: 2x sandisk 8GB usb's.

Thanks!

R8633

Cadet
Can I ask the question. If freenas 9.10 can't attach the watchdog would this send it to fail and reboot?

Paolo Randi

Dabbler
I have the same Issue on Asus Z10PE-D16 WS running Freenas 9.3.1 since a while (rock solid). The upgrade run smooth until reboot shortly. After reboot a reboot for ever cycle is engaged. No way to see what is going on. A fresh installation have the same issue. After short install the machine reboot (believe the same spot) and then reboot for ever. The machine boot from a Kingston SSD 50 enterprise class disk.
Memory Kingston KVR21R15D4/16 ECC x 4 banks (total 64 G) no issues in freenas 9.3.1
On board card:
2 X IBM serveraid 1015
1. INTEL X540 T2: 10 Gbit adaper.
Rolled back to Freenas 9.3.1 because it is a production system.
The upgrade ran fine on all simulation done on virtual machines, I strongly believe that it is an issue related to the specific mobo. That still remains one of the best on the market in my opinion. I have 4 running so far with windows server, EXI freenas 9.3.1, all 24/7. The only issue found is on Freenas 9.10 so far.

R8633

Cadet
I'd like to say that I never found a solution. tried many things. Had hoped the people of freenas would have been more helpful but weren't :( Ever find a solution id be most greatful you'd repost here to what you did. Thanx

Paolo Randi

Dabbler
I'd like to say that I never found a solution. tried many things. Had hoped the people of freenas would have been more helpful but weren't :( Ever find a solution id be most greatful you'd repost here to what you did. Thanx

I cannot believe Freenas group dont find a solution. It can be only the mobo. Have you tried to upgrade mobo BIOS? I believe I try to do that. I am sure problem is not freenas but Free BSD 10 or whatever. Still freenas people are involved. It is the op that fails. Freenas is a frill on top of it. So There is a bug open on this particular issue. The question to answer is the following. If freenas assert its an enterprise level system it must not behave like windows vista, a blue screen and reboot or should it?. Otherwise please freenas gui say Freenas run only on supermicro motherboards (if you are able to make them running). You will see it will take months but it will be solved. Menwhile 9.3 makes me crazy in configuration mailing subsystem but it works.

R8633

Cadet
Yeh I updated the bios with making no difference. I totally agree to that it is a free bsd 10 issue that is in relation to the motherboard we choose. I temporary changed out the motherboard and had it working but changed back to the original and now just run freenas 9.3 hoping in the future it be resolved. If I find in the future freenas 9.10 ends up working with our motherboard of choice or I find a work around I will be sure to post here and let you know.

Dankomaister

Dabbler
Have the same problem on my machine:
1x Asus Z10PE-D16 WS
2x Intel Xeon E5-2683 v3 2.0Ghz 14Core
1x Crucial DDR4 PC19200/2400MHz ECC Reg CL17 4x8GB
2x LSI MegaRAID SAS 9217-8i

Problem occurs on both FreeNAS 9.10.1 and the latest version of FreeNAS 10,
however both Windows, Linux and even FreeBSD 10.3 works fine.

Have anyone made any progress towards solving this problem?

Last edited:

AdrianS

Cadet
Hello guys,
Sorry to reopen an old post. I did the (hopefully not) mistake to buy the same piece of hardware and with the latest bios update and latest version of FreeNAS I have the same loop problem.
Is there a way I can support for my side and the help of you experienced FreeNAS Gurus solve this problem.
The hardware is a jewel yet... not working with FreeNAS makes it a piece of junk :(
Pease help me solve the issue.
Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.