System Configuration Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaine1688

Cadet
Ok so to start, I will probably be waiting until freenas 10 comes out to set up my server.

Hardware:
Asus Z10PE-D16 WS
2x 2690v4
2x 1tb ssd for jails/vms/metadata for emby/plex/game servers in a mirror incase shit hits the fan.
64gb of ram ddr4 ecc
Adaptec hba
Supermicro sever case with a 24 bay jbod
1x amd w5900 2gb cause i had one laying around
8 or 10×8tb hgst enterprise 1x10^15 eru
8x4tb of some wd greens/seagate/hgst nas

Question is i want the big pool for my media collection which is not mission critical, which at some point i might get 10tb archive drives in a second enclosure with a jbod expander board to just boot once a week and do a system backup.

Anyways given that this server will be set to automatically sync my media collection, it will be a ever-expanding storage. With that in mind and that media will only be stored on enterprise 8tb drives with a eru of 1x10^15 i was thinking either
2x 5x8tb raidz1 vdevs in a single pool
2x 4x8tb raidz1 vdevs in a single pool
This way i can expand the pool with a total of 4 vdevs of either configuration until i need an additional enclosure.

The 4tb drives will be in a mirror for cloud storage
2x4tb mirror, so 4 drives, this should suffice for work projects and picture sync. 8tb usable

Any suggestions or should i go with raidz2? It just feels like wasting 2x8tb drives for parity is well a waste. This data will almost all be movie storage and will not be altered once on the drives. And these will all be enterprise hgst drives.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
RAIDz1 is insanity with drives larger than 2TB. The resilver time for the larger drives leaves you at risk for any additional drive failures during the process and total loss of your pool if that happens.
It is not recommended. There is plenty of discussion about this, just
do a search to read up on this if you wish.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

Kaine1688

Cadet
Well the hardware started as something else, plus one of the VMs will be used for FEA computation so higher core count is better for me, and the w5900 will be used in that conjunction, along with the 1TB ssds, as I different software uses RAM or HDD space for intermediate computation. I don't trust LSI HBAs, I seen too may fail.

Anyways, so RaidZ2 with either 5 or 6 drives would be sufficient?
2x 5 RaidZ2 or 2x 6 RaidZ2 with 8tb enterprise HDDs. Consumer grade NAS drives only have an eru of 1x10^14 so a failure during rebuild is a lot higher, hence why I prefer enterprise drives, plus they are only about 60-80 more per drive.

I want a config where I can have 40+TB of usable storage for my media with adequate redundancy. My other pools will be mirrored and I don't need more than 8TB for my cloud storage.

Stux

MVP
You can fit 3 8 way vdevs in a 24 bay enclosure.

And 4 six way.

Status
Not open for further replies.