FreeBSD 11 VM - Install "Stuck" After Bootloader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pioto

Cadet
Hi,

I've switched from Corral over to 11-RC, and I'm trying to build my VMs again (from scratch, since 11-RC isn't able to boot my older grub/bhyve loaded VMs).

First up, I'm trying to install FreeBSD 11-RELEASE from an ISO image.

I get as far as this, and then... nothing:

upload_2017-5-13_11-24-57.png

Any suggestions about what I may be missing in the setup here? It seems like the bootloader knows how to talk to the EFI framebuffer, but the installer doesn't?

Last edited:

Dobbie

Dabbler
What VM are you using to install it in? What is the config you assigned it?

pioto

Cadet
What VM are you using to install it in? What is the config you assigned it?

This is a fresh VM in FreeNAS 11-RC; I've just created a fresh 1 vCPU, 1024 MB RAM, UEFI boot method, and I added a 8GB ZVOL as the disk, and linked the downloaded ISO from FreeBSD as the CD-ROM device.

Dobbie

Dabbler
This is a fresh VM in FreeNAS 11-RC; I've just created a fresh 1 vCPU, 1024 MB RAM, UEFI boot method, and I added a 8GB ZVOL as the disk, and linked the downloaded ISO from FreeBSD as the CD-ROM device.
Depending on which Architecture iso you downloaded, that could be the issue maybe.

pioto

Cadet
It's not anything like that...

It seems to be specific to FreeBSD ISOs. I've tried 11.0-RELEASE, 11-STABLE, and 12-CURRENT, and all exhibit this same issue.

I've tried running through iohyve, and I also seem to observe a similar issue. However, I think I can now say it's not specific to UEFI or the VNC server.

The message I see pop up during the `iohyve install` process, and which I can now see in /var/log/middlewared.log a bunch of times from my earlier attempts, is: rdmsr to register 0xc0011005 on vcpu 0

Seems like there's a bhyve "-w" flag that may be able to get me past that: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/47951/

I'll also look to see if there's a firmware update from my motherboard vendor...

Status
Not open for further replies.