Bhyve core dumped when running windows 10 (FN 11-RC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen304

Dabbler
I've been trying to virtualize windows 10 using the VMs section on Freenas 11 RC, but I can't seem to get very far without it crashing and getting core dump. I'm not very familiar with debugging freenas, so all I have right now is the log lines stating that bhyve core dumped:

root@freenas ~log # grep bhyve messages
May 9 21:23:29 freenas kernel: pid 38063 (bhyve), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
May 10 10:40:01 freenas kernel: pid 17183 (bhyve), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)

The first time, I used the e1000 nic and ACHI disk, and got it to install, but it crashed when it was booting back up after the install finished. The second time, I used VirtIO and finished slip streaming both drivers in the install process (necessary to get the disk to show up), but shortly after that (continuing the install I believe) it crashed again.

Is this a known issue? I'm using the latest creators update (1703) windows iso downloaded from MS (verified with checksum) and virtio ISO 0.1.136.

FWIW, I haven't had any issues virtualizing Ubuntu (save for that grub issue where grub doesn't put the efi file in the right place). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Specs:
Code:
Dell C2100
2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5630 @ 2.53GHz
32721MB RAM
9211-8i

I have only 1 other VM, Ubuntu that is just sitting there running atm, and about 12 jails running various programs (plex, rclone, plexpy, unifi, radius, plexrequests, radarr are a few of them)

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

What are the hardware specs of the system and are any other VMs or Plugins/Jails installed?

D

dlavigne

It sounds like it is starved for RAM (from the sig11 error plus the number of jails running).

Stephen304

Dabbler
The system or the VM? I gave 4GB to windows, thinking that would be enough. Most of the jails are idle, I gave ubuntu 4GB, and the only jails running atm are plex, plexpy, unifi, radius, and requests, and they're all idle.

I guess this would be a good excuse to buy more ram though, if that's the case.

D

dlavigne

The system. Please let us know if the issue persists after adding more RAM.

ajschot

Patron
Is this a known issue? I'm using the latest creators update (1703) windows iso downloaded from MS (verified with checksum) and virtio ISO 0.1.136.
Did you tried with older Virtio drivers? i had problems before. Try version 0.1.118

Any luck on this?

I'm having the same issues. Trying to install Windows 10 on a VM to which i allocated 2 cores and 4096MB memory and an ACHI disk of 40 GB. FreeNAS system specs are in my signature.

First error was bhyve exit on signal 11, later errors exit on signal 6, both have (core dumped) message.

Status
Not open for further replies.