Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

FN11.1 + Rancher + linuxserver/deluge - "Permission denied" when creating files

Western Digital Drives - The Preferred Drives of FreeNAS and TrueNAS CORE
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnorreSelmer

I've set the container up according to the DockerHub page (https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/deluge/) with a CIFS share. PUID and PGID are set to my FreeNAS user and group ID (1001), so the FreeNAS folder and the container uses the same IDs. I can get a command line in the container and manually create files and folders, but Deluge can't.

Is this possibly related to the mismatch of UID/GID between the FreeNAS/container and the RancherOS VM (Rancher has a UID/GID of 1100)?

KrisBee

Neophyte Sage
Did you resolve this issue? AFAIK the linuxserver container has to run with a UID GID that exists on rancheros. Which means running the container with UID/GID of 1100 as you stated. So you need as CIFS share that recognises a UID/GID of 1100, and check if CIFS share needs to allow root:root to write to it as well.

Last edited:

SnorreSelmer

I did not, but I'll try this suggestion and see if it helps! :) I'll report back in an hour or so.

SnorreSelmer

OK, I'm officially confused now...

I used the guide here (https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...s-11-1-rancheros-docker-rancherui-plex.59963/) to mount CIFS to the RancherOS before, without luck (even deleted the entire VM in frustration).

Today I did the exact same setup, just using UID/GID 1100, and the Deluge daemon wouldn't even start ("no such user on the system"). Figured out how to "edit" a docker service, changed the UID/GID to 1001 like I had in my previous tries, and now everything works perfectly!

Well, it's confirmed working now!

KrisBee

Neophyte Sage
I shouldn't have posted in haste, as it was me who got that one muddled up.

If you run a linuxserver container on linux host they are designed to run with UID/GID that exists on the host system and where local storage is used. So if you ran rancheros non-virtualised, I would expect trying to run a container with UID/GID 1001, for example, to cause problems. Just as I would expect it to cause problems if rancheros is run virtualised and you used storage only within rancheros itself.

If the container runs in Rancheros where the container only reads/writes to CIFS shares then that stricture is lifted and the UID/GID of the running container must surely match that of the username in the CIFS mount. Things can be a bit different if you use NFS mounts within rancheros , which was probably what I was thinking of first time around.

SnorreSelmer

Yeah. What stumps me is why this didn't work the first time, since as far as I can tell, I set both Dockers up the same way.
Also, I hope to figure out how rancher-nfs works since I have tried and failed to get that to work.

KrisBee

Neophyte Sage
I did use rancher-nfs briefly when looking at rancherUI for the first time. To avoid id mapping troubles between what is a linux nfs client and a FreeBSD nfs server, I had both "Enable NFSv4" and "NFSv3 ownership model for NFSv4" checked on the FreeNAS NFS service. I also set "maproot user" to "root" and "maproot group" to "wheel" on any nfs shares I used.

Example exports:

Code:
root@freenasT:/ # cat /etc/exports
V4: / -sec=sys
/mnt/TestPool/media/music  -alldirs -maproot="root":"wheel" -network 192.168.0.0/24
/mnt/TestPool/VM/docker  -alldirs -maproot="root":"wheel" -network 192.168.0.0/24
root@freenasT:/ #

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.