Files become corrupt when moved between directories via smb in Win 11

Louis_Cyphre

Cadet
Ok, here is the situation:

I create directories on my Truenas Core server via smb in Win 11 with Windows File Explorer. No problem there.
I copy files using WFE, again, no problem, files work fine.
I move the files from one directory to another in Win File Explorer..... Big problem!

Files become unresponsive, unusable and un-deletable via smb. The only way is to use shell commands to delete them.

Is this the nature of smb or is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance!

Davvo

MVP
It's not something that should happen if this is what you are asking.
Please post your hardware specifications as per forum rules.

I don't think it's corrupting the files. It sounds like a permissions/ACL issue.

Can you share how you configured one of these SMB Shares as well as the dataset in question? (Including the permissions / ACL.)

EDIT: Don't worry, @Davvo! I'm sure we'll eventually be able to solve this user's FreeNAS problem.

Davvo

MVP
Yeah and iirc there was also an issue with traverse permissions.
@Louis_Cyphre please specify your TrueNAS version. And ignore this childish debate between me and the winnie above.

I move the files from one directory to another in Win File Explorer..... Big problem!
Out of curiosity, do you notice this same behavior if you do one file at a time? (Don't copy folders, only copy individual files.)

Louis_Cyphre

Cadet
Hi, thanks for the replies. Sorry how long it has taken me, have been away for work over the holidays.

To answer the last question first, there seems to be no difference, one file or a folder.

TrueNas:
Version:
TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1

System:
Intel i5-9600K
16GB DDR4 - 2666mHz
Asus Prime B365M-A
Pool: 5x 8TB drives

SMB share:
1673647937390.png

Dataset permissions:
1673648102569.png