Permissions of SMB share mounted in Linux

Balvenie

Cadet
Hello,
on my TrueNAS I have several SMB shares. I mount them on my Linux machines (running Debian11) via /etc/fstab file.
This worked perfectly fine for the most time but after a reinstallation of my OS I now see some weird things.
I haven't changed anything on the TrueNAS side but played around a little bit with the mount options in /etc/fstab.
Even if I revert the mount options back to what worked in the past - there is still something strange happening.
I can't figure it out by myself what's happening here. So I'd highly appreciate your help.
If you need any further information just tell me and I'll provide them to you asap.
Thanks in advance!

All entries in my /etc/fstab look something like this:
Code:
//10.0.0.103/shared_folder  /mnt/NAS/shared_folder  cifs  rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,vers=3.0,noauto,x-systemd.requires=network-online.target,credentials=/root/.TrueNAS  0 0

Mounting the share works too, but then doing a ls -l shows the following weird permissions:
Code:
drwxr-xr-x user user     for directories
.rwxr-xr-x user user     for files (Every single file is executable)

These are the permissions of the mount point /mnt/NAS/shared_folder before mounting the share:
Code:
drwxrwx--- root user

This is what I expect to be correct:
Code:
drwxrwx--- user user     for directories
.rw-rw---- user user     for files (Every single file is executable)

Is this whole permission thing something that should be configured properly on TrueNAS itself and then mounted without any parameters on the client? Would that result in correct permissions? Or is permission options always necessary on the client when mounting a SMB share? (I know its a little bit different with NFS)
Permission on the NAS (GUI) are set properly I guess. At least it worked for long time. Tell me if you need any more information here.

These are the permissions via ls -l from the Webinterface shell:
Code:
d---------+ user wheel     for directories
----------+ user wheel     for files
d---------+ root wheel     for nested datasets

This especially looks very weird but I guess it is because I've set permissions via ACL?

Balvenie

Cadet
Okay I could fix this by simply adding file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770 to the mount options.

But I'm still curious why it worked before and now I had these weird permissions.
What's the "correct" way of doing it? Am I doing it right, or is there a better way?