Fan speed problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli Singer

Explorer
I had a CPU fan cycling up and down. After some research i used ipmitool to shanfe the settings as explained here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...or-thresholds-with-ipmi-using-ipmitool.23571/

Now the fan is always on 100%. I tried changing the values to all sorts of settings to no avail, it still blows like crazy.

Here's a screenshot of my current setup:
Fan Speed ipmitool.jpg

Would love some advice on the matter...

Thanks!

Eli

Glorious1

Guru
I can't see your hardware info, but I'm guessing you have a supermicro motherboard. What is your fan mode setting in IPMI?

Eli Singer

Explorer
It is set to Optimal.
My hardware info is in the signature, I'll copy it here:

OS: FreeNAS 9.10.2-U1 STABLE on a Sandisk SSD Plus 120GB
Storage: X6 8TB WD Red NAS in one Z2 Zpool
Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSH-CTF
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 v5
Memory: 64GB- X4 Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CPB 16GB DDR4-2133 ECC Un-Buffer LP Server Memory
PSU: Corsair RM650x 650w
Case: Antec P280

Glorious1

Guru
It is set to Optimal.
My hardware info is in the signature, I'll copy it here:

OS: FreeNAS 9.10.2-U1 STABLE on a Sandisk SSD Plus 120GB
Storage: X6 8TB WD Red NAS in one Z2 Zpool
Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSH-CTF
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 v5
Memory: 64GB- X4 Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CPB 16GB DDR4-2133 ECC Un-Buffer LP Server Memory
PSU: Corsair RM650x 650w
Case: Antec P280
Thanks, I was on a phone so couldn't see the signature.

Couple of things:
  1. Rapid cycling usually happens because fan speed hits a threshold, and the base management controller (BMC) revs it up or down to compensate. That's why thresholds need to be outside of the range the fan should get to.
  2. Sometimes in these gyrations, the BMC gets stuck. You can reset it with [sudo] ipmitool bmc reset warm. Don't worry, this does no harm.
  3. I see you are working in the WebGUI's shell. If you can SSH into the machine, you could try this script. It doesn't change anything, just reads data so you can see what the temperatures are and what the fan and controllers are doing. Change the path for the log to something convenient, change the filename extension to sh, and start it as superuser (as root or with sudo). It will report drive temps, CPU temp, fan speeds, fan duty cycles, and fan mode.

Attachments

• spincheck.txt
    7.5 KB · Views: 345
Status
Not open for further replies.