Failover UPS's and montoring?

mpyusko

Dabbler
My FreeNAS Box has Redundant PSU's.
Each PSU is connected to it's own 900W/1500VA UPS.
Each UPS has a 1500VA Extended Battery.
I Have two Hypervisors in HA.
Each Hypervisor has one PSU and is plugged into one UPS or the other.
Each Switch has one PSU and is plugged into one UPS or the other.
Each UPS is plugged into it's own circuit, but same panel.
I have one Firewall, one Cable Modem, one Wifi Access Point, and one monitor (for the KVM) plugged into a fail-over PDU.

1591156058569.png

Interestingly enough, this does not exceed 900W per UPS and I have 3000VA in reserve, each. At standard load, I should be able to have a maximum runtime of about 4+ hours, or full-load of 30 minutes. If one UPS fails, I can run between 15 minutes to 2 hours, depending on load.
If the mains go down I lose internet anyway. Likewise, if the fail-over PDU fails, I'll lose my internet. That's not a huge concern.

Most likely I'll have one of the following scenarios...
  1. Mains fail, I run in battery without internet, Hypervisors start clean shutdown of VMs, followed by SAN.
  2. 1 PSU fails in the SAN. The other is still protected by UPS until it can be swapped.
  3. 1 UPS fails. I lose a hypervisor, switch and PSU from the SAN. HA, Multi-pathing and LAGG kick in, and the dropped VM's start on the other hypervisor until the failed unit can be repaired/replaced.
  4. I lose a hypervisor PSU or Switch PSU. Again, HA and mult-pathing/LAGG kick in and it all kicks over to the other Hypervisor/Switch.
  5. (CPU's, RAM, and Drives could also fail on any device, but are far less likely than something power related)
Right now, I have FreeNAS 11.3 monitoring 1 UPS, but not the other. I also don't have any of the hypervisors monitoring the UPS's. How can I set it up, so I get the longest runtime, from any failure scenario? the WebGUI only allows for one PSU to be monitored. I've read other threads saying to run NUT in a Jail so it can monitor both, but I'll also need to serve the UPS info to the hypervisors and firewall. so everything can get shutdown cleanly. So how can I set that up? I'm running XCP-ng 8.1 on the hypervisors. I managed to configure Xenserver 7.2 to monitor single UPS and shutdown cleanly (local storage only, a couple VMs.)

I'm not familiar with running Jails under FreeNAS. Nor monitoring multiple UPS's either internally or remotely with NUT.

Thoughts?