Redundant UPS?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If servers are shut down (and powered off) the load on the UPS is zero. So the UPS won't turn off soon. So there may be a large time frame where the UPS still is running. If power comes back within this time frame, the servers won't start automatically again.
OK, I see your scenario and I agree that if you have a UPS with a big enough battery it can be problematic not to power it off in order to automate the restart (all depending on which devices can be gracefully powered down in advance).

If you run the UPS all the way to the wall for all devices that can't be gracefully shut down, and you get power back before the battery is flat, you would need to be able to manually re-power the gracefully shut down devices (like you said via some kind of WoL or IoT power switch device... or maybe using the same commands to NUT as in your routine since you still would have some connectivity, I assume).

Exhorder

Explorer
Just understood that part of the question... actually what you do is have the FreeNAS host configured as a slave to look at NUT on the Jail IP and NUT port, then it's FreeNAS (UPS service) that does the shutting down on its own.
To get back on topic: NUT in the jail can be configured as master and also monitor multiple UPS. Something like this in upsmon.conf:
Code:
MONITOR ups-alpha@localhost 1 monuser mypass master
MONITOR ups-beta@localhost 1 monuser mypass master
MINSUPPLIES 1

That means the NUT master is not shut down as long as a single UPS is still powered.

But if my understanding is correct, this does not help for TrueNAS because even when configured as NUT slave TrueNAS can still only monitor one UPS from the master. Actually a configuration like this is needed on TrueNAS:
Code:
MONITOR ups-alpha@nut-master 1 monuser mypass slave
MONITOR ups-beta@nut-master 1 monuser mypass slave
MINSUPPLIES 1

The web interface lacks an expert option to write your own upsmon.conf.

sretalla