Is there a TrueNAS Network UPS Tools Multiple Server / PSU / UPS setup guide?

StevenD

Cadet
From what I understand the TrueNAS web ui does not have support for monitoring or controlling more than one UPS. Are there any guides for how to do this? I feel like this may be a common issue. I've searched these forums and found a number of posts about it.

My understanding is that you would have to install NUT as primary / master on another device like a pi, nuc, pfsense router, etc. and configure a dummy UPS that shows the higher battery status of the two UPS's. Then in TrueNAS, you setup as secondary / slave and monitor the dummy UPS to handle the shutdown.

In my case I have a pi setup as the master monitoring 3 UPS's. All UPS data cables plugged into the pi.
1 UPS "network1" powers the modem, router, pi, switches.
2 UPS "servers1" and "servers2" power the servers. (2 servers, dual PSU, 1 PSU into each UPS)

So far, I have the pi correctly monitoring the UPS's.

I have not setup a dummy yet as I wanted to confirm that is the correct / recommended way to do it.
If anyone has done this for the APC BGM1500B I'd certainly appreciate any help you can provide.

Also, does TrueNAS gracefully shutdown any VM's and Jails during a NUT system shutdown, or do you need to create a custom shutdown script to do that?

homer27081990

Patron
Hi! What you want must become a feature request. Stuff like this should be supported by the OS natively.

homer27081990

Patron
Also, does TrueNAS gracefully shutdown any VM's and Jails during a NUT system shutdown, or do you need to create a custom shutdown script to do that?
It should, as long as the VMs correctly receive control messages (the problem where the VM OS has reached poweroff, but the VM is still running) and none of the jails hang or function jail-unaware and send some confirmation message in their internal console or something.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
It should, as long as the VMs correctly receive control messages (the problem where the VM OS has reached poweroff, but the VM is still running) and none of the jails hang or function jail-unaware and send some confirmation message in their internal console or something.

No feature request needed. This is already the case. A NUT shutdown automatically triggers API calls to stop jails/plugins and VMs.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
From what I understand the TrueNAS web ui does not have support for monitoring or controlling more than one UPS. Are there any guides for how to do this? I feel like this may be a common issue. I've searched these forums and found a number of posts about it.

My understanding is that you would have to install NUT as primary / master on another device like a pi, nuc, pfsense router, etc. and configure a dummy UPS that shows the higher battery status of the two UPS's. Then in TrueNAS, you setup as secondary / slave and monitor the dummy UPS to handle the shutdown.

In my case I have a pi setup as the master monitoring 3 UPS's. All UPS data cables plugged into the pi.
1 UPS "network1" powers the modem, router, pi, switches.
2 UPS "servers1" and "servers2" power the servers. (2 servers, dual PSU, 1 PSU into each UPS)

So far, I have the pi correctly monitoring the UPS's.

I have not setup a dummy yet as I wanted to confirm that is the correct / recommended way to do it.
If anyone has done this for the APC BGM1500B I'd certainly appreciate any help you can provide.

You're on the right track with the NUT master/slave setup.

homer27081990

Patron
No feature request needed. This is already the case. A NUT shutdown automatically triggers API calls to stop jails/plugins and VMs.
Hi! The convo got a bit sidetracked, the feature he is talking about is controlling multiple UPSs from GUI.