SOLVED APC BackUPS Pro 500 - finally working, yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arwen

MVP
I bought this UPS because it was small, had built in networking and had a 5 year battery life. Ended up with some other great features, like outlet power consumption and individual outlet power control.

But, I was never able to get it to work with my FreeNAS using Nut. Neither USB or network seemed to work. So I just hoped my power outages were short term. So far, all have been.

Today, I think I found the magic spell to make it work.
  1. Using dmesg | grep -i --color american I determined that my UPS was a HID USB device, not a ugen which is the only USB menu options. Turns out I can change it to /dev/uhid0.
  2. Select an APC model that uses usbhid-ups for the driver. The closest one by name was APC ups 2 Back-UPS Pro USB USB.
  3. Next, my product ID code was not recognized. So, poking around I found I could add this to the ups.conf extra options, productid = 0004.
Don't really know which other settings need changing.

Now that I have it working, I might get a second one for the desktop side.

Things to do:
  • Try a power fail. (FreeNAS is running a scrub, no need to interrupt that.)
  • Reboot and make sure Nut works after. (Try another power fail.)
  • Check Nut's productid on their web site. If not present, report upstream bug. If present, report a FreeNAS bug to refresh Nut.

Last edited:

Arwen

MVP
Submitted a feature request to improve UPS / Nut documentation, in related to changing the Port: field to support HID USB devices;

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/25501

Note that this is not related to the product ID code part. Still need to research and see if upstream has 0004 codes.

Arwen

MVP
Tested an A.C. power fail, my FreeNAS shutdown gracefully.
After booting my FreeNAS, tried another A.C. power fail, it worked and shutdown gracefully.

Now I just need to figure out the productid in the Nut source code. It appears the only programmed one is 0x0001. But, that does not make sense. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.