ESXi and FreeNAS - acceptable error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toyebox

Explorer
I'd love to see how long a Handbrake Blu Ray encode would take on that beast of yours. My desktop with a 6700k running at 4.5Ghz is pretty fast, I can't imagine how fast all those cores would be.

I'll have to give it a try for sure. I have been using scripts from here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/131308/cayars-setup-walk-through-and-some-tips-and-tricks/p35
Basically does the same thing that handbrake does except a few more just for optimizing libraries of Plex.

I just installed the new hardware acceleration preview version of pms on my windows VM just now. Adding the library to it now.. usually takes a couple hours :/

joeschmuck

Old Man
Buy it direct from pcengines, there is a considerable markup elsewhere. I bought an entire working system for that price. $171.90 shipped to be exact. That's MB, 16GB mSATA drive, case, power adapter and serial cable for installation.

It's not a real powerful system but you don't need one for most connections unless you are trying to push line speed on a Gb connection. It has a passmark score of 1462 but it's more than enough for what I need. Most users report around 650 with iperf and around 480 to 550 NAT. I run snort but gain at my connection speed it won't be an issue for this to keep up.

And as I'm sure your aware, wireless support on FreeBSD is abysmal. If you want decent wireless get an AP. A Ubiquity AP AC Lite is next on my list of hardware purchases.
My internet speed isn't great either, 20Mbps Down / 2Mbps Up. I'd like to have faster upload speeds for when I'm doing remote work but for faster upload speeds I need to spend more money and it's just not worth it. I spend $56 per month already. Let me know how that system works, I may do the same thing and buy directly but I don't think that a 16GB mSATA SSD is large enough. If ESXi can be used then I would want to run possibly two instances of pfSense, one for each of my WAN IPs. The second one is not used much but when I need to test if something is working from a remote computer, this second IP helps out. I'd likely want to run with a 256GB mSATA. You never know what else I might want to do, maybe a backup storage for my financial data (which all sits on a 64GB USB Stick and is almost half full).

Well time to call it a night.

Cheers!

toyebox

Explorer
IMG_20170220_152136.jpg IMG_20170220_152148.jpg

Server is up running strong since yesterday. Thanks to the help of you all and thanks for the good conversation !

Here is a little cabling pr0n for you peeps who enjoy this stuff.this is the server I was working on.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Nice work on the cabling. Nothing irks me more than to open a case and find a rats nest of cables......

joeschmuck

Old Man
Very good job on those cables. Looks like you got proper lengths to made it dress nicely. You are going to hate the time when you need to cut the cable ties, trust me, it happens for some stupid reason. Here's my cable management style.

Attachments

• 742b35bb386c73f432e9c0cdac68f930.jpg
    742b35bb386c73f432e9c0cdac68f930.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 186

toyebox

Explorer
Very good job on those cables. Looks like you got proper lengths to made it dress nicely. You are going to hate the time when you need to cut the cable ties, trust me, it happens for some stupid reason. Here's my cable management style.

Yessir you're right. Not my first rodeo ! Some would argue your cable management style is easier to trace wires with that amount. Hand over hand as apposed to pointing at one and tracing it with your eyes:p

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

I would have an anxiety attack just walking into that room.........

joeschmuck

Old Man
In reality, at work we use a lot of red cat5/6 cable to denote the security classification and it's a nightmare when people do not label the cable with some sort of identification.

toyebox

Explorer
In reality, at work we use a lot of red cat5/6 cable to denote the security classification and it's a nightmare when people do not label the cable with some sort of identification.

So that initial setup i had, that didn't have the ecc memory and used a mobile processor.. I am turning that box into an unRAID server i guess.. unless someone else has some opinions.. It's such a nice build, just a shame it's not ECC.

gpsguy

I've worked in environments where red was used for cabling the fire alarms.

Status
Not open for further replies.