Error with a Disk

joeschmuck

Old Man
"iostat" - not "iostack"
@DarkCorner This is the second time you have entered a command incorrectly in this thread. You need to slow down and pay closer attention to the commands you enter or one day you will enter a command that will cause you a lot of grief.

Swap = 0Kb
Wow, I'm very surprised actually, I would have expected some SWAP usage. If you use the GUI and go to Reporting/Memory, find the SWAP chart, and then use the (-) button to cover a greater span of time, in fact all of time recorded (at least the past month), then it will give you the min/max values of SWAP utilized. If it turns out to remain at zero, that is very good, but with the limited RAM you have, I really am surprised. And this may not have anything to do with the slow drive condition, it's just something to look at.

And thanks for posting the output of the commands I requested, I see nothing wrong there.

DarkCorner

Explorer
"iostat" - not "iostack"
Excuse me.
I copied and pasted while I was on the phone, I didn't even notice that I inserted the help of the commands.
Now I have replaced the message with the IOSTAT table.

@joeschmuck

Swap: 0KB in the last 6 months

Last edited:

DarkCorner

Explorer
You could try this command, changing the "1" to "2" or "3" seconds if desired.
zpool iostat BCK-RZ1 -v 1

The values don't seem to change

admin@gp-hq-bck-srv[~]# sudo zpool iostat BCK-RZ1 -v 3 capacity operations bandwidth pool alloc free read write read write ---------------------------------------- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- BCK-RZ1 607G 7.58T 0 0 3.06K 63.0K raidz1-0 607G 7.58T 0 0 3.06K 63.0K 6d3f2f06-7a91-4ba0-9a2d-fd18b5cab789 - - 0 0 1.02K 21.0K e8b96b2f-565b-4395-bb46-0429ac7c831a - - 0 0 1.02K 21.0K bfda04ff-024a-48dc-bfed-4a8a84e2be87 - - 0 0 1.02K 21.0K ---------------------------------------- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Arwen

MVP
If the values don't change, then the slow disk may be a bogus alert. But, you would need to have had been running the zpool iostat when the slow disk alert was reported to see if their is a difference in the disks behaviour.

Other than that, I don't have any other suggestions.

DarkCorner

Explorer
I tried to control a second TrueNAS,
Same motherboard, same CPU, same number of users working in the same way.
The only differences are 16GB of memory and 4 WD blue disks in RAID-Z2.

Here there are no errors and the CPU runs around 0-30 Max.

DarkCorner

Explorer
@joeschmuck
@Redcoat
@aervin
The NAS isn't working this morning.
Last night I saw a message that the system was ONLINE, but that the SDE disk had other problems. I'm sure though that in the pool table the three disks were active.
This morning I wanted to check better, but the system pings, but it isn't active. It will therefore be blocked.

I prepared a virtual NAS on the ESXi server and had done the data synchronization. If I did the job well, for the users there is now an alternative NAS, but I haven't done a test yet (I would have done it today if there hadn't been any problems).

Now the difficult part will be to find the SDE disk. They are inserted in order on the motherboard, but nevertheless the SDx assignment is done in a totally different way.

In theory, without SDE, the RAID-Z1 system should still work with the other two disks. We should see what happens if I remove the wrong disk.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Have you ever run Multi-Report? It will tell you the serial number of the drive 'sde' if that is what you are looking for. I could tell you the long few lines of CLI to type but the script is just easier, or just use smartctl -a /dev/sde. But wait, you already know the serial number so I guess I'm missing something?

The NAS isn't working this morning.
Which NAS? The original problem or the new 16GB RAM NAS?

Last edited:

DarkCorner

Explorer
Have you ever run Multi-Report? It will tell you the serial number of the drive 'sde' if that is what you are looking for. I could tell you the long few lines of CLI to type but the script is just easier, or just use smartctl -a /dev/sde. But wait, you already know the serial number so I guess I'm missing something?

Which NAS? The original problem or the new 16GB RAM NAS?

Thanks for your answer.

No, it's the NAS I opened this thread for.

Frankly speaking, I can't understand his behavior.
I have four NAS, all with the same motherboard and CPU.
This NAS should be the best one, with three WD red HDDs and it's the one that gives me the most problems.

Apart from the CPU at 100% and which is seen as having 1 core instead of 2, there is this sde HDD which occasionally reports problems, problems which then disappear.
The other day he was stuck at login for an excessive amount of time, but then it
left without anyone doing anything.
Maybe some process that slowed it down excessively.

I'm doing a short SMART test every day and a long one every week for all HDDs. We'll see what they report.

Meanwhile, I solved it by creating a VM in ESXi with in TrueNAS SCALE enough stripe disk to contain the two shared folders for four users and snapshots every hour.
So, I only use this physical NAS for backups of the 4 PCs and VMs.

To be safe, I would like to back up this NAS to a qnap, so as to have a second backup level for greater security.
I opened a new thread because it is not possible to configure an rsync to the QNAP.

DarkCorner

Explorer
I'm closing this thread because I did a fresh install and now the situation is different with other problems.
So, I open a new thread with the description of the new situation and a link to this thread.

In the meantime, thanks to the friends who responded here.