Hot unplug / plug of mirror ZFS disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeki

Cadet
Hi all

I'm just starting with Freenas (version 8.3.1) and I need advices.

We are a small team, and we would like to use a nas server centralize our files. We need also an automatic backup, and we need the backup to be off-site, but we don't want for now to have it online in some cloud.

My idea was the following : to setup 2 SATA disks in ZFS mirror, with one of them in a unpluggable rack system. Someone would be in charge at the end of its working day (usually 5pm) to unplug this disk and take it with him at home, so that we have a backup off-site. In doing so the volume would be degraded, but the others members of the team will still be able to work (usually until 8pm, so that files modified or added between 5pm and 8pm) are not backup, but that's ok we can handle that.

At the beginning of the following day, the off-site disk would be hot plugged back, and I was expecting that the 2 disks will automatically synchronize so that they are mirror of each other again. and so on...

Unfortunately, this doesn't work as described :

First : when we unplug the disk, CPU usage drastically increases (from 50% to 150%). Same for 'System load' (from 0.5 in average to 2!). Is it normal? Would it suggest that my PC is a little bit outdated (it's a x86 Pentium4 3.40Ghz with 1Gb RAM )?

Second : when we plug back the disk, the volume stays degraded even after 'zpool online' and 'zpool clear' commands. We usually have the reboot the PC, and then a 'zpool clear' to get the volume healthy again? Why do we need to reboot to make this work? Could it suggest that my old PC doesn't support hot unplug (I haven't seen AHCI option in the BIOS)? Is there a way to automate the hot plug so that we don't have to reboot and launch command such as 'zpool clear'.

Any advice very welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.