Enzotech/Noctua Mod for LSI 2008 based HBA cards

Enzotech/Noctua Mod for LSI 2008 based HBA cards Part I

Andy Shrum

Cadet
Andy Shrum submitted a new resource:

Enzotech/Noctua Mod for LSI 2008 based HBA cards - Upgrading an LSI 2008 HBA to an Enzotech low-profile copper heatsink with Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM fan.

Well known to owners of LSI 2008 controller based HBA cards (in this instance an IT mode flashed Dell/LSI 9217-8i) is that these puppies can get a little hot under the collar without adequate airflow. While my FreeNAS build is in a well ventilated full-size tower...

Read more about this resource...

Andy Shrum

Cadet
Interesting - maybe a bit over-engineered approach. Why not using the existing heatsink? https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarde...i_cooled_my_lsi_sas92118i_card_with_a_noctua/

Thank you.

I prefaced everything with a tower being my target for this card/cooling combination where space in chasis is not particularly a limitation. The consideration after that is then PCI-E slot spacing (Part II will be posted sometime in the next few days; time permitting.) One could absolutely use the stock heatsink. The Enzotech is better. That big 20mm Noctua not practical for your PCI-E spacing? As discussed here before, BUILD Which 40mm Noctua Fan? They also make a 10mm Noctua NF-A4x10. Heck, the fan that comes with the Enzotech is 6.8mm.

Do I trust it to last 5 years? No.
Do I trust Noctua? Never had a failure. Hundreds of fans. Abused fans. Redheaded Light and dark brown colored step-child abuse.

There's really more information on spacing in Part II.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
FWIW, I tried to do something similar with the the built-in HBA on the Supermicro board I have and gave up. The hole spacing was too off, even though the EnzoTech stuff came closest to actually fitting.