Emby update hell

Sincs

Cadet
Hi, first post here, new Freenas/Truenas user, so very limited knowledge....

Background... I started off with Freenas 11.something, and have only ever used it for Emby. All was going well until a few weeks ago when my android and roku apps stopped working and asked me to update my emby server. Before attempting the emby server update I upgraded to Truenas 12.

The situation now.... Running TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1 and Emby version 4.5.40_1, Release:11.3-RELEASE-p14. This is still the emby version/release that I installed in Freenas 11.

I've tried updating the emby plugin, using the UPDATE button and get the following error:

Updating Plugin
Error: Host: 12.2-RELEASE is not greater than target: 12.3-RELEASE This is unsupported.

Have also tried updating the emby jail, using the UPDATE button and get the following error:

Updating emby
Error: Major ABI change detected, please run 'upgrade' instead.

So now I'm stuck. I've googled the hell out of this and everything I've found and tried doesn't seem to work. Although, to be honest, I was trying things without having a clue what I was doing. Tried updating iocage (whatever that is) via shell, but "iocage command not found".

Can somebody please give me an idiot's guide of how to sort this out and update Emby on my TrueNAS.

Much appreciated.

Davvo

MVP
You might want to take a look at this thread, especially post #2.
TLDR: you have to drop plug-ins and go jails or switch to SCALE.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You need to use the iocage command outside your jail. First upgrade the jail to the latest FreeBSD release (13.1) with iocage, then update the packages inside the jail with pkg.

Whether that works with a plugin I don't know. I only install standard jails and then my own packages inside.

HTH,
Patrick