Drive spindown (DS3) through LSI firmwares 9207-8i / 9211-8i possible or not?

Sharza

Cadet
Hi

Im in the middle of a build, which has been a long story, which I'd rather not go in too much detail with here (it upsets my blood pressure :) ) - unless there's a real need for it.

Roughly put, I have an ESX build, and a IBM M5015 raid card. After much time invested, and in the end building my own management/monitoring solution (since the LSI Vmware CIM provider is utterly dismal), I came to the realisation that LSI have disabled DS3 support on all newer firmwares. And I really would like to spin down my disks providing long term raid 6 storage, sitting idle for 7/8 of a 24 hour period... about 90 watts in a home server 24/7 is something really. So it seems to be alot of time wasted so far.

Now Im looking for alternatives, and I've got my eyes set on FreeNAS with a lesser controller card, as the total cost more or less equals a newer ESXi supported Adaptec controller, which has full drive spindown support. I only replaced my trusted Adaptec 51645 card, because it was absolutely impossible to get management features working through the ESXi... it ran flawlessly - but what's it worth, if you cant know when a drive fails?...

The real question though, is wether DS3 support is present for any of the following LSI firmwares in IT mode:

9207-8i
9211-8i

If not - then it seems to be a lost cause (back to a new expensive controller then... sigh), unless someone can recommend a SAS/SATA compatible controller card, on par with any of these, featuring DS3 support/passthrough in firmware.

I did quite some searching - not only on these forums - and eventually must admit my Google-fu just don't cut it. I have found information about a number of other LSI firmwares, which indicates it generally isn't possible to passthrough the Dimmer Switch 3 control to the drives, on any LSI firmwares of a newer date - but nothing conclusive on the 2 I have listed above.

So do anyone know for a fact, and/or can recommend a SAS/SATA card on par with these that do?

Major thanks in advance for all your time.

Cosmin_C

Cadet
I know this is a necro, but I've been looking for the same thing and apparently their solution was to disable power savings by default with the 12.12 firmware and you can only set it up for unconfigured drives.

As I've been using the 9211-8i for a while now, it is likely you will be able to set the power savings settings because when you are exposing the disks to TrueNAS those are unconfigured drives.