Downloading remotely using rsync and dynamic IPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud

Contributor
Heres what I would like to get working but I'm a little stuck on where to look next

I have 2 freenas boxes, mines local with a static IP lets call that one (A) and the other will be at a remote location with a dynamic IP lets call that one (B).

So obviously the remote system (B) needs to be the one making the connection and doing the downloading seeing it has a dynamic IP address.

I've setup rsync modules between the 2 and it works fine with both systems on the same local network but I can see a problem when (B) is moved remotely.

Making the connection from (A) to (B) and sending the files seems easy enough and I have that working no problems, but I can't work out how to make system (B) make the connection and pull the files from (A)

I'm sure it can be done but I'm stuffed if I can work out how to do it, so any help here would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

cdiddy

Dabbler
I might be missing something here, but wouldn't machine (B) just "rsync -a user@machine_A_IP_address:/machine_a/remote_dir /machine_b/local_dir" ?
Or are you still working out how to get B to find and connect to A once B is moved offsite?

Spud

Contributor
I might be missing something here, but wouldn't machine (B) just "rsync -a user@machine_A_IP_address:/machine_a/remote_dir /machine_b/local_dir" ?
Or are you still working out how to get B to find and connect to A once B is moved offsite?

Ahh, yes and just execute this through cron! I was so caught up in looking at the modules I completely overlooked executing the command in cron directly. Thanks man!

Status
Not open for further replies.