Dynamic DNS configuration

Glorious1

Guru
I use duckdns.org for dynamic DNS. To update it, I have a simple cron job:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/curl https://www.duckdns.org/update/<my-subdomain>/<token>

Simply going to that page updates the IP. I noticed that duckdns is one of the providers available in Services > Dynamic DNS, and thought I would change to using that. But there are so many extra fields to fill out, and it seems like they are wrong fields, I can't figure out how to make it work. Yes, I've read the user guide.

Has anyone gotten this to work with duckdns? Or have a clue how to make it work?

OliverPA

Cadet
Via trial and error: All you need to do is enter your domain name (with or without .duckdns.org) and your duckdns token in username.
You can check /var/log/cron for the curl log entry that's running the update to make sure it's working :smile:

Glorious1

Guru
Thanks. First time I tried that, the console showed that it tried the update and failed. Nothing at all in the cron log.
Then I tried turning it off and on again, set it to 30 second intervals to test it. It's not even showing in the console, let alone the cron log.
Here's what I have:
Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 7.17.32 AM.png

esaporski

Cadet
Bumping this thread... I couldn't make it work either. Had to setup some Cron Jobs to update my public IP address on DuckDNS.
I'm runnign the curl command every 5 minutes (*/5 * * * *):
Code:
curl https://www.duckdns.org/update/<DOMAIN_NAME>/<TOKEN>

pverona

Cadet
I worked it out for my TrueNAS Scale deployment through the UI.

As @Glorious1 said, you go to Services -> Dynamic DNS, select duckdns.org as the provider. You can check both the `CheckIP Server SSL` and `SSL` boxes. Then for the `Username` field, enter the token you got from DuckDNS and for password you can enter anything (it doesn't matter) so put `changeme` or `nopassword` or something

Once you hit `Save` you should be able to activate the service and select the `Start Automatically` box. If you have any further issues, you can look at the logs by SSHing into the server and looking at `/var/log/user.log` as you activate the service. Also, it looks like that page is just a wrapper around this configuration file (https://github.com/troglobit/inadyn/blob/master/examples/duckdns.conf) which will be on your system under `/etc/inadyn.conf` so you can play around with that too until it works

Glorious1

Guru
Thank you @pverona! For some reason I was trying this again today and bumped into this old thread. Your magic permutation worked for me in Core.

Just to be clear if anyone else is trying this, the fields CheckIP Server and CheckIP Path can (should?) be left blank.
duckdns.jpg

By the way, in Core there is no /var/log/user.log, and the conf file is at /usr/local/etc/inadyn.conf