Docker/RancherOS + Plex = Sad face slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

kranzel

Explorer
Hey all,

Hoping someone can answer a question for me. I have looked through the guides and forum and haven’t been successful finding this answer and I am pretty sure this is a simple one.

I have installed RancherOS via the 11.1 user guide and have Plex up and running it. All that being said. Plex is super slow. I have plex running in a jail as well and the jail runs without issue. I am confident my hardware is more than sufficient.

My question is this, when installing RancherOS, I only assigned 1 CPU and 2GB of memory as per the guide. I am working on the assumption that even though the VM has little horsepower, that the containers running on top of it would have access to all the underlying resources on my machine. Is this a correct assumption?

m0nkey_

MVP
I am working on the assumption that even though the VM has little horsepower, that the containers running on top of it would have access to all the underlying resources on my machine. Is this a correct assumption?
No it would not. It only has access to the resources assigned.

kranzel

Explorer
Thanks @m0nkey_

One more question then. Is the resources assigned to the VM, in this case my RacnherOS VM reserved specifically for that VM?

What I am trying to say is this. I don't really want to get into the habit of manageing individual resources, at least not at home. The nice thing about Jails is I can install them and they use whatever resources they need from my server.

If I go to the VM and assign it all the CPU's and Memory from my server, will it effectively cripple my system because all those resources are now reserved for the VM only? Or, does assigning all the resources to the VM simply mean it can utilize them as needed?

Does that make sense?

What is reserved for the VM is the VM's while it is running. Theoretically if you assign all the resources to a VM yes it would effectively kill the system. I don't know if there is something in place to prevent someone from doing this or not however.

I would hope that a VM has some sort of protection or limitation like if the max cores in a system is specified then the VM would be limited to a core count of N-1. Something similar with ram could be N-8GB.

A jail is very nice as it does not need a dedicated amount of resources assigned to it. However it is possible to have something running and eat all the resources and take out a system, especially when running a system that is below minimum specs to begin with. That is one of the reasons why there is a recommended minimum for FreeNAS only as well as a recommended minimum that is higher for jails and VM's.

Status
Not open for further replies.