RancherOS Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

babaroga

Explorer
Hello,

I was using 11.2 RC2 and created DockerVM with RancherOS. All is fine, and now we have upgraded to the release 11.2, and RancherOS has been upgraded to v1.4.2.
If you create a new docker VM, RancherOS is at the v1.4.2 level, however, the one created earlier with RC2, is still at v1.4.1. I have tried to run "sudo ros os upgrade", but after it reboots, it is still at v1.4.1.

Is there a way to upgrade to the latest version of RancherOS?

Regrads,
D.

Code:
root@radfree:~ # ssh rancher@192.168.1.200
rancher@192.168.1.200's password:
[rancher@rancher ~]$ sudo ros os version
v1.4.1
[rancher@rancher ~]$ sudo ros os list
rancher/os:v1.4.2 local latest
rancher/os:v1.4.1 remote available running
rancher/os:v1.4.0 remote available
rancher/os:v1.3.0 remote available

KrisBee

Wizard
Hello again,

Have a look at the contents of the hidden folder ".bhyve_containers" in your pool and you'll get an idea of how the grub boot mechanism works for a "Docker VM". If your were using iohyve only at the CLI, and not the new GUI and it's back end code, it would be possible. But I have no confidence that this can be done in 11.2. Try deleting a "Docker Vm" and the img file used is not removed for the pool. Surely a bug and just one example of the many that have appeared as 11.2 has moved from test to release. Also note how many outstanding issues that have been moved from 11.2-release to 11.2-UI.

The fact is that ixsystems implementation of a "Docker VM" seems not to have provided a means for the user alone to upgrade the rancheros base.

babaroga

Explorer
I am still contemplating of putting Ubuntu Server with Docker, CoreOS or OpenShift the same way. Not sure if that would be waste of time to even attempt it.

KrisBee

Wizard
Just my personal opinion, but as I've written elsewhere on this forum I don't see rancheros + rancherui ( now designed for kubernetes) as a good fit for a home using deploying a limited number of docker apps. Ubuntu server ( stripped of unnecessary cruft) + docker + docker-compose and/or portainer is not a bad choice. Have a look in the resoruces section of the forum.

Like rancheros, CoreOS iso doesn't support UEFI, so there's no easy route to use via the webui. OpenShift is another product aimed at enterprises using large scale docker.

babaroga

Explorer
Sorry for the late answer, but I am using RancherOS with Portainer. I do not use RancherUI.

Saying that, it seems total waste of time for FreeNAS team to even develop Docker environment with RancherOS. IMHO, jails should have been kept with iocage, and all instructions should have been given on Ubuntu Server for Docker, or at least pointed to many web resources. Mating two different kind of technologies, just to be able to say "we server Docker" is futile, and with extra support overhead it's not really needed for a company of ixSystems size, time and resources could have been used better on some other tasks.

I'll definitely experiment with Ubuntu Server and see how that goes...Saying that, just found out that we now have Ubuntu Minimal, a stripped down Ubuntu Server for "cloud" applications. Need to look into it as well.

PS.
CoreOS is dead in the water, now that IBM has purchased RedHat and they are putting all eggs into OpenShift basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.