Resource icon

Rancher/RancherOS docker engine HOWTO on FreeNAS 11.0-RC2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisma

Explorer
I highly doubt it'll be a FreeBSD native docker. It'll be a Linux VM running docker with some abstraction to allow control via the FreeNAS UI.

If you did FreeBSD native docker, you'd still be locked out from using containers built for linux docker so you have to rebuild dockers for FreeBSD or try to rely on the FreeBSD Linux compatibility libraries which might not work 100%.

I see, so other than the convenience of managing containers purely from the GUI, there won't be much benefit to using a freenas baked in docker vs diy VM docker. Admittedly, there's a lot of cli interaction required to do these diy setups, even with a user-friendly platform like ubuntu, so there's certainly some appeal having it baked in. But personally, as long as I can get everything to auto-load on boot and not sacrifice performance, I'd be perfectly happy sticking with a diy setup like we're doing here.

Thanks for the insight.

amiskell

Patron
I see, so other than the convenience of managing containers purely from the GUI, there won't be much benefit to using a freenas baked in docker vs diy VM docker. Admittedly, there's a lot of cli interaction required to do these diy setups, even with a user-friendly platform like ubuntu, so there's certainly some appeal having it baked in. But personally, as long as I can get everything to auto-load on boot and not sacrifice performance, I'd be perfectly happy sticking with a diy setup like we're doing here.

Thanks for the insight.

Well, you'll technically sacrifice performance due to the Linux VM. You'll have to allocate resources to the VM (which will be less than the FreeNAS machine itself) so docker will always be constrained by the limited resources of the VM. Then you have the overhead of a VM as well.

Whereas something native, like FBSD jails, can utilize the full resources of the machine like any other process running natively on the machine with no abstraction layer.

It's all preference (aside from the performance caveats), docker is easy once the VM is setup but lacks full hardware access and jails are slightly harder (but really not by much and has a full compliment of software available via pkg or ports) and has greater access to the hardware resources for better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.