Giving iohyve guest access to datasets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish

Contributor
Hey guys,

I'm running 9.10.2 with RancherOS installed as an ioHyve guest. I want to run a Plex container inside of RancherOS and give it access to another dataset that stores my media.

What's the best way to do this? Would an NFS share give similar performance to my current Plex jail's access to the dataset?

Thanks in advance.

kdragon75

Wizard
NFS will probably be the best way to go. Since its inside a bhyve VM your generally limited to your network options.

Fish

Contributor
NFS will probably be the best way to go. Since its inside a bhyve VM your generally limited to your network options.

Thanks for the info, this is probably what I'll do. I'm just planning on migrating my jails to Docker containers so that I can upgrade to 11 and then do native Docker containers. Once I do that, the containers will have file-level access to the datasets, correct?

kdragon75

Wizard
I have not done much reading on how docker will be implemented in FreeNAS. If its like Corral... (We need a vomit emoticon.) Docker will still be housed in a VM and the containers inside of that. The nice thing about using NFS is that if you do need to move your containers at some point, as long as they can reach the NFS mounts, you good to go. If you did let then depend on local storage, you lose a bit of flexibility. Personally, I like the flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.