Direct Attach Storage and Internet

Fastline

Patron
Hello,

So, i have a mini NAS which has 6 SSDs. It is connected directly to the client, without any switch. My question is, is it possible to have internet on the client side? The network is direct 10GbE. If i connect using WiFi, the client shifts to 1GbE speeds which i really don't prefer. So, is there any workaround or something where i can use 1GbE/onboard/WiFi for the internet and the other NIC (10GbE) for accessing the NAS.

Thanks

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
Can you post your hardware please as per forum rules.

I also really don't understand what you are asking. DAS means Direct Access Storage which is a seperate device to the TrueNAS box, configured seperately

Fastline

Patron
Can you post your hardware please as per forum rules.

I also really don't understand what you are asking. DAS means Direct Access Storage which is a seperate device to the TrueNAS box, configured seperately
Hello,

Have corrected the question. Will add the specs soon.

MrGuvernment

Patron
As @NugentS noted, a DAS directly attaches to a computer, whether server or desktop. If they wished to share the contents of said DAS, you would need to do that from the OS of the system the DAS is connected to.

With that, No, you do not want storage shares "on the internet" if someone needs external access to said data, set up a VPN/Wireguard connection to the dest. network.

Now, if this is an actual "NAS" and as you seem to say, you are just doing a direct 10Gb <--> 10Gb link from the miniNAS to the Computer, the client can have internet, they can just use the 1Gb port. But, you need to static set the IP of the Client to the subnet the miniNAS has (has to be different than the subnet used for the client to connect to the router) and do not put in a gateway or DNS servers, only the IP and subnet

Last edited:

Fastline

Patron
As @NugentS noted, a DAS directly attaches to a computer, whether server or desktop. If they wished to share the contents of said DAS, you would need to do that from the OS of the system the DAS is connected to.

With that, No, you do not want storage shares "on the internet" if someone needs external access to said data, set up a VPN/Wireguard connection to the dest. network.

Now, if this is an actual "NAS" and as you seem to say, you are just doing a direct 10Gb <--> 10Gb link from the miniNAS to the Computer, the client can have internet, they can just use the 1Gb port. But, you need to static set the IP of the Client to the subnet the miniNAS has (has to be different than the subnet used for the client to connect to the router) and do not put in a gateway or DNS servers, only the IP and subnet
No, no. Let me explain again.

So, NAS to PC is connected using 10GbE NIC (NAS) to 10GbE NIC (PC), using an Ethernet Cable. But when i try to use internet on the PC, i have to turn on WiFi or use onboard Ethernet. However, when i do that, i can use internet but then if i try to access the NAS or read/write some file on it, instead of 10GbE, it drops to 1GbE. So, in short, any possible way where i can use internet+NAS but without a 10GbE switch?

Davvo

MVP
You should be able to do so, but it requires configuring on the NAS side. No idea how.

Fastline

Patron
You should be able to do so, but it requires configuring on the NAS side. No idea how.
Hmm. I'm able to use Direct Attach Storage, without the switch. It's just the internet i want on the client side.

Davvo

MVP
It's not direct attach storage, TrueNas is a NAS: Network Attached Storage.

Davvo

MVP
DAS are usually connected with eSATA, SAS. If you are using an ethernet cable, you are using a network :wink:

danb35

Hall of Famer
So, in short, any possible way where i can use internet+NAS but without a 10GbE switch?
Yes, and there are lots of threads here with people asking the exact same question. In short, you'd set up the two 10G NICs with addresses on a different network than your 1 Gb/s network. But why the allergy to sensible network design? Small 10 Gb/sec switches aren't very expensive. The correct answer here is to get a small 10G switch (e.g., a Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN), connect your two 10G NICs to that, and use its 1G port as uplink.

Last edited:

ChrisRJ

Wizard
@Davvo is right. Whether you connect your NAS via a switch or not, it will always stay a NAS because it is connected via network.

DAS means connection via SATA, SAS, Fiber Channel, Thunderbolt, SCSI, MFM, ESDI, ESCON, etc.

Ok, while I was typing this other replies came in. Still wanted to confirm this ...

danb35

Hall of Famer

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Glad to be of service! :wink: :cool:

MrGuvernment

Patron
Hmm. I'm able to use Direct Attach Storage, without the switch. It's just the internet i want on the client side.
+1 to everyone elses suggestions.

Either use a switch and do proper networking, and do not try to use your "NAS" as an internet gateway / router, because that is not what it is for.

Also, unless you have a 10Gb internet connection, using the onboard 1Gb is fine.

Example:

Computer ---> 1Gb Link ---> set as DHCP and connected to your router
---> 10Gb Link --> to NAS --> Client , Set Static IP of say 10.0.100.1, subnet to 255.255.255.0 , on NAS, set static IP of 10.0.100.2, subnet 255.255.255.0.

Now when you want to connect to get files from the NAS, you type in \\10.0.100.2\ (if SMB)

This is a manual pain in the butt, go buy a cheap 10Gb switch, connect it to your router, let it do DHCP, set everything to DHCP/Auto and off you go, no more headaches, client has internet, your NAS can get internet to download updates and you have done a proper network setup.

Fastline

Patron
@Davvo is right. Whether you connect your NAS via a switch or not, it will always stay a NAS because it is connected via network.

DAS means connection via SATA, SAS, Fiber Channel, Thunderbolt, SCSI, MFM, ESDI, ESCON, etc.

Ok, while I was typing this other replies came in. Still wanted to confirm this ...
Yes, you're right. I was confused. Thanks for making it clear :)