New 10Gb NIC only works with old NIC on

Kris Heslop

Dabbler
I am pretty new to in-depth networking things...I was frustrated with slow transfer speeds from my NvME drives to the Server, so I upgraded my MAC MBPretina to a Sabrent 2.5Gb/s GbE USB 3 port, secured a Zyxel XGS1010-12 Switch with 2-10Gb SFP+ ports, 2-2.5 GbE ports, and 8-1GbE ports.

I installed a Sun Oracle Intel E69818 7051223 10GB Dual Port nic in the PCIe 2.0 4-lane slot and configured the Router DHCP for reserved IP 192.168.0.9, with Server DHCP set on, disabled the DHCP for the add-in 1GbE Intel NIC using the reserved IP address 192.168.0.5.

So I have the FreeNAS connected with the 10GbE port, my PC using the USB 3 2.5GbE, Internet from the Comcast gateway through my MOCA V2.5 with 1Gb port connected to a 1 GbE port on the Switch. The Comcast Gateway handles DHCP.

Rebooted, and then the only way to access the 10Gb IP address was to have the 1GbE card active? If I deactivated the 1GbE card, I could not access through the 10 GbE card. This contradicts what I thought I knew and experienced before (two 1GbE NICs only one would work, so stopped using onboard.)

Testing for speed, once I disabled the WiFi on the MacBook shot up to about 300 MB/s then settled down to 160-180 MB/s...

Also, If I activate automatic provisioning for IPV6 on the 10Gb card, it does not work.

If I unplug the 1GbE NIC. I lose all connections, add it back and I get both to access through the web... Is this normal? As I recall having the second NIC active is not good, any thoughts or suggestions. Setup should be in the sing below. Only other changes are not live yet...I am in the process of adding some more HDDs to switch for 4z1 to 6z2 or 8z2 with WD 10TBs from MyBook's shucked., and I have (live) two SSDs as boot drives in addition to the active but unused SSD for the jails and any VMs.

Another question is how to get it so the transfer speeds optimize the bandwidth and that Plex streams come up faster (reduce buffering). That may be best in a different area though.