VNET in jail works only when NAT option is specified

expr

Cadet
I created the jail with default parameters and only checked DHCP Autoconfigure IPv4 checkbox.
Despite the fact the jail successfully leases IP from DHCP server (192.168.1.41) it doesn't have access to the Internet.
I tried to ping different IP addresses from the Jail:
1. I can ping IP of FreeNAS server (192.168.1.8).
2. I cannot ping other devices in my local network (for example 192.168.1.7) and even my gateway/DHCP server.

When I check NAT checkbox, the jail has access to local network and the Internet.

I have 'Ethernet Connection X722 for 1GbE' 8086:37d1 internal NIC.
FreeNAS loads this driver: <Intel(R) Ethernet Connection 700 Series PF Driver, Version - 1.11.9-k>

I've never used FreeNAS before. How can I diagnose the issue and maybe I should report a bug?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I don't think you understand what VNET means... you can't have both VNET and NAT enabled.

What you should have is VNET enables as it's how jails work best (with their own IP address).

You need to make sure the bridge is properly configured for it to work, so look at the output from ifconfig both on the FreeNAS host and in the jail.

expr

Cadet
It's interesting. When I check NAT checkbox and trying to uncheck VNET checkbox I see "VNET is required." error in UI. So I a bit confused when you say "you can't have both VNET and NAT enabled." Could you please explain what I get wrong?
As for ifconfig in jail - it looks ok. As I said before the jail leases IP from my DHCP server and I can ping FreeNAS IP.
As for FreeNAS, I don't know what to check:
Code:
ixl1: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=b8<VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM>
        inet 192.168.1.8 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
        nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
        options=680003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,LINKSTATE,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        groups: lo
bridge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether 02:f4:3d:0f:99:00
        nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>
        groups: bridge
        id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15
        maxage 20 holdcnt 6 proto rstp maxaddr 2000 timeout 1200
        root id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 ifcost 0 port 0
        member: vnet0.4 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 6 priority 128 path cost 2000
        member: ixl1 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 2 priority 128 path cost 200000
vnet0.4: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        description: associated with jail: test2 as nic: epair0b
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 3e:ec:ef:4b:48:3c
        hwaddr 02:94:50:00:06:0a
        nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>
        media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)
        groups: epair

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
OK, so that bridge looks fine.

What do you get from this?

iocage get defaultrouter test2

expr

Cadet
Code:
root@freenas[~]# iocage get defaultrouter test2
auto
root@freenas[~]#

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You want to set that to whatever your network's router is... my guess:
iocage set defaultrouter="192.168.1.1" test2

expr

Cadet
Oh, I'm sorry I didn't say that routing in jail looks ok even with "auto":
Code:
root@test2:~ # netstat -r
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Netif Expire
default            192.168.1.125      UGS     epair0b
localhost          link#1             UH          lo0
192.168.1.0/24     link#2             U       epair0b
192.168.1.244      link#2             UHS         lo0

Moreover without default route I wouldn't have access to any network but 192.168.1.0/24. But as I said before I can ping only FreeNAS IP :(

Also I forget to mention one thing: in jail it takes about 20 seconds to print those four routes. I mean I run netstat -r in jail and only after 20 seconds I see those routes. Is it ok? Or maybe this and the main issue have common roots?

sretalla