No IPv4 networking in jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just upgraded to 9.10.1 today. And then I added a new jail. I don't know if this behavior appeared in the update I installed; I have one exiting jail that did not show this behavior.

Using the simple interface, I specify just a jail name. When I then open a shell in that jail and run ifconfig, I see this (no IPv4 address shown):

root@pub:/ # ifconfig
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
epair1b: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=8<VLAN_MTU>
ether 3e:20:4d:3f:84:f4
inet6 fe80::3c20:4dff:fe3f:84f4%epair1b prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
nd6 options=23<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)
root@pub:/ #

Note the MTU is 1500, and that this is an ifconfig from within the jail, not the often-discussed issue that jls doesn't list IP addresses even though the man page claims it does. So I don't believe I'm seeing either of the common problems associated with this symptom.

If I then edit the jail, the IPv4 networking boxes are not filled in, including the DHCP checkbox not being checked. Furthermore, although it doesn't look grayed out, I cannot check the DHCP checkbox.

In the Jail Configuration GUI screen, both IPv4 DHCP and IPv6 AUTOCONFIGURE are checked.

If I create another new jail in advanced mode, I'm still not able to check the IPv4 DHCP checkbox in the GUI.

Any ideas?

Okay, this is weird!

I added a second play jail. It behaved the same as the first, and I thought I hadn't learned anything. But then I happened to go back to the first...and now I can edit DHCP mode, and when I set DHCP mode and restart it, it acquires an IP address.

I tried the obvious -- adding a third play jail. It's not being last that causes the problem. Instead, it seems to be some kind of weirdness in editing a blank (all default) entry. When I create a jail and edit it, I can't click the DHCP checkbox. However, if I type something into the IPv4 address, save, it, and come back to edit, then I can click the DHCP checkbox (and there's junk in the netmask field that I have to clear out before things work).

So--my jail is now doing what I want it to. However, there does seem to be an actual problem in the jail config editing, that I can reproduce reliably (create new jail in basic mode, select it, click edit, try to click the DHCP checkbox but nothing happens). Is this unique to me? It's weird enough I'd like confirmation *before* I go write up the bug, since it seems easily reproducible.

Status
Not open for further replies.