• Intel Avoton C2750 / 16GB ECC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

miklasz

Dabbler
Hello!
Just working on my NAS Configuration and came to the point beyond my knowledge. I do have some networking background but i never worked with FreeNas before. I would like to ask you guys to confirm if this topology is possible with FreeNas.

Basicly I would like to:
1. I read that best 10GB NIC for FreeNas is Chelsio, what 10GB NIC would you recommend in similar price range?
2. MyPC would only access FreNas Network Share over 10GB NIC (192.168.10.0/24), and access Internet over regular NIC (192.168.7.0/24) but have no access to NAS over local network?
3. Can rest of the network still access NAS over local network (192.168.7.0/24)?

This is what I would like to achieve (picture below)

freenas1.png

is this possible or is it overkill ? :)

all comments welcome ! :)

thx

Bartosz

Last edited:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Hi and welcome. Yes, what you are trying to do is possible. From your client, you will just have to using the 192.168.10.xx adress to access the freenas share to ensure that traffic goes over the 10GbE link and then ensure your default gateway is set to 192.168.7.1 so your client machine still has internet access.

As for the adapter types, the chelsio recommendation is specifically due to the underlying support within freebsd. In your client, you can use intel. There is a useful 10GbE networking Primer sticky thread in the networking subforum which has a lot more info.

Are the freenas and pc in the same general area (if so, you can use an SFP+ with fiber or a twinax cable)? If they are in different rooms and you already have compatible twisted pairs run through the walls, then you will need an RJ-45 variant.

Good luck!

miklasz

Dabbler
Hi @depasseg!

thanks for quick reply, yes its really same room, so 10m SFP+ with fiber would do the job. Also i did found post you ware talking about after I posted this post, and its really interesting. However I can not fins information about windows 10, if its supports it. I can see some drivers but it said "windows driver" but no specification. I can see it will work with windows server, but i haven't see anyone talk about windows 10. Do you know if it work with windows 10 ?

thanks!!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I'm running a T420 in windows 10 just fine. I'm not sure about the s320. Or look into Intel on the windows side, I'm sure they are well supported. Or maybe post in the off-topic section looking for Windows compatible 10GbE adapters (or google?).

Status
Not open for further replies.