SOLVED "Connecting to NAS...[...]" on clean install

Caretaker

Dabbler
I just installed another FreeNAS server in my rack (specs below, and I have one running already), when trying to access the Web GUI I get the following message (an image is also attached).

Connecting to NAS... Make sure the NAS system is powered on and connected to the network.

Now I've poked around a bit and everything I've found talks about the IP address changing, older beta builds, config changes or some other networking error. This is a fresh install (several times over now) and dhclient is getting the correct IP address for ix0 on boot. I've tried different OS's, browsers, etc... nothing changes. This unit is on an untagged VLAN with my existing FreeNAS server and that one does not have this issue. There are no host specific rules in my firewall, only general 'net' rules so I don't believe that is where the issue is... but what the _ do I know.

I've attached dmesg -a > dmesg.txt and middlewar.log (middleware.txt) as I've see that requested in other threads.

Anyone got an idea what's happening here? I'm at the end of my wits trying to figure this out.

• Motherboard make and model
    • Super MIcro X9DRi-F
  • CPU make and model
    • 2x Intel 6 Core E5-2620 2Ghz
  • RAM quantity
    • 16GB
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives
    • 2x ST8000DM004 (8TB, unallocated)
    • SanDisk Cruzer CZ36 (32GB, boot)
  • Hard disk controllers
    • LSI 9217-8I / BPN-SAS2-846EL1
  • Network cards
    • Intel X520-DA2

Attachments

• freenas00.PNG
    freenas00.PNG
    4.5 KB · Views: 444
  • dmesg.txt
    91.5 KB · Views: 602
D

dlavigne

There is this in your log: arp: 90:e2:ba:6c:4d:71 is using my IP address 10.0.30.20 on ix0!

Caretaker

Dabbler
There is this in your log: arp: 90:e2:ba:6c:4d:71 is using my IP address 10.0.30.20 on ix0!
Thanks for the response, but sadly this is not related. The double DHCP entry is just the last state I was in before going to bed.

I had been experimenting trying to figure out what was going on. I had planed for the ix* nics to be an LACP. While as you've seen in the logs there was is matching DHCP entries for both, most of my testing there was only 1 entry using the MAC that ifconfig reported for the LAG. I've had where *70 and *71 both have unique IPs in DHCP, I've disconnected one side or the other so only one nic is up and nothing yet gets me away from that error.

Would you like me to post new logs now that the above that you found is no longer in prod?

Caretaker

Dabbler
Welp.... I found the problem, my firewall had a proxy running. I turned off the proxy and right away the page refreshed with the correct login screen. Turn that proxy on, and broken.

I'm marking this as solved but I don't truly understand what the real problem was, as like I've said my other FreeNAS box doesn't have this issue.