Cobia not allowing FFmpeg and Node.js to be installed directly.

littleNewton

Dabbler
Install a VM and use that as you see fit.
My TrueNAS SCALE is a VM that runs on ESXi. A lot of PCIe devices were passthrough to this VM.

I have considered using jail or container which can provide the software I needed. However, the memory management of TrueNAS SCALE, or OpenZFS on Linux, is not very robust. Linux VFS subsystem and ZFS arc have many similar functionalities. Without adjustment of zfs_max_arc, ARC can only utilize half of my 512GB memory which is unacceptable. Under this situation, I don't want to run a container with --daemon on my back machine.

Etorix

Wizard
My TrueNAS SCALE is a VM that runs on ESXi.
You really, really should have stated it in the first post.
Then, if you understand the pitfalls of virtualising TrueNAS, and are aware of the issue with ARC on SCALE, use TrueNAS CORE instead for ZFS storage and do your transcoding in another ESXi VM.
If you need containers, set up a Linux VM in ESXi and install docker.

littleNewton

Dabbler
You really, really should have stated it in the first post.
Then, if you understand the pitfalls of virtualising TrueNAS, and are aware of the issue with ARC on SCALE, use TrueNAS CORE instead for ZFS storage and do your transcoding in another ESXi VM.
If you need containers, set up a Linux VM in ESXi and install docker.
Yes, My ESXi hypervisor have 3 VMs:
  • Windows Server for downloading
  • TrueNAS SCALE for storage
  • Debian for general purpose
Those 3 VMs are fabricated with vSwitch of ESXi. Each of the VMs are assigned with a Mellanox CX4 Lx SR-IOV VF.

The bandwidth of vSwtich is 24Gbps.

Running those applications on Debian is considerable. However, the vast traffic on vSwitch will slow down my whole system.

Davvo

MVP
You could merge the TN and the WS istances with CORE + JAILS, easing the burden on the vSwitch using mounting points.

Whattteva

Wizard
My TrueNAS SCALE is a VM that runs on ESXi. A lot of PCIe devices were passthrough to this VM.

I have considered using jail or container which can provide the software I needed. However, the memory management of TrueNAS SCALE, or OpenZFS on Linux, is not very robust. Linux VFS subsystem and ZFS arc have many similar functionalities. Without adjustment of zfs_max_arc, ARC can only utilize half of my 512GB memory which is unacceptable. Under this situation, I don't want to run a container with --daemon on my back machine.
Since you're running as a VM, why not just run CORE? Most people run SCALE for the Apps, but since you're running this as a VM on a hypervisor, you kinda' have no need for it since you can just spin another VM that would be better-suited to handle such things than SCALE. CORE has no such limitation on ZFS ARC and can and will use up to <1 GB than your allocated RAM.

In fact, that's exactly what I did with my setup, except that I'm using Proxmox as the hypervisor instead of ESXi. I have a vanilla FreeBSD VM + jails where I install all my services.

littleNewton

Dabbler
Since you're running as a VM, why not just run CORE? Most people run SCALE for the Apps, but since you're running this as a VM on a hypervisor, you kinda' have no need for it since you can just spin another VM that would be better-suited to handle such things than SCALE. CORE has no such limitation on ZFS ARC and can and will use up to <1 GB than your allocated RAM.

In fact, that's exactly what I did with my setup, except that I'm using Proxmox as the hypervisor instead of ESXi. I have a vanilla FreeBSD VM + jails where I install all my services.
Yeah. You are definitely right.

Firstly, I tried to use CORE as my storage server. I passed through an HBA (SAS3008) card to it. When I boot the VM, I always stuck on a stage that is related to the HBA. I didn't know why.

After trying many times, I gave up CORE.

PS. The WebUI of CORE is a little bit uglier than SCALE.

Whattteva

Wizard
Yeah. You are definitely right.

Firstly, I tried to use CORE as my storage server. I passed through an HBA (SAS3008) card to it. When I boot the VM, I always stuck on a stage that is related to the HBA. I didn't know why.
Ah, I ran into this issue also. You probably need to turn off the OPROM so it can get past the boot process. That OPROM really is only needed if you need to boot from the HBA, which I'm guessing you don't need to since you're probably using a virtual disk as your boot device. Also, make sure you're running the latest version of the firmware. Not sure for the SAS3008, but for my SAS2308, it's 20.00.07.00.

PS. The WebUI of CORE is a little bit uglier than SCALE.
I guess I can agree with the aesthetics, but in my opinion, CORE UI is more usable since some menus just stay open and not force me to keep opening it when I hop between different screens like SCALE forces me to do.

littleNewton

Dabbler
1695654653267.png

You probably need to turn off the OPROM so it can get past the boot process.
OK, I am trying to disable it.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hi danb35,

I want to use ffmpeg and node.js. These two are common software.

Given that they can work properly on the elder version of TrueNAS SCALE, it is reasonable that they still work on the newer release.

This is not a feature request but a bug report, especially the ffmpeg one. As we all know, Cobia is still an RC version, not a release one.

Best,
Peng

It may or may not be a bug..
With new releases, there is a continual goal to increase reliability, quality and security..... sometimes that means the software may become more restricted. In general, we discourage adding software directly since it is untested and may have a conflict with other software.

The key challenge is getting agreement on a use-case...and what is the best way to deploy. Should ffmpeg be in the base software or should it be in an App?

So, I'd suggest leading with a thread in the Cobia subforum... describing what you are trying to achieve and what you did in Bluefin. There can then be a discussion on how best to meet your requirements.

I'm going to edit the tread title to be more specific to the problem..... its not a general RC.1 issue.

Last edited:

Whattteva

Wizard

Whattteva

Wizard
I have turned it off. But it would still stuck in a state which is related to MPR0 device.
I'm sorry, I'm afraid I may not be able to help you further. Seems like our devices differ. Mine is mps0 instead of mpr0 and seems to boot just fine. Could you perhaps post a screenshot of where it gets stuck?

littleNewton

Dabbler
I'm sorry, I'm afraid I may not be able to help you further. Seems like our devices differ. Mine is mps0 instead of mpr0 and seems to boot just fine. Could you perhaps post a screenshot of where it gets stuck?
Boot Stuck mps0: Reinitializing controller.

But it would still stuck in a state which is related to MPR0 device.
It was not MPR0. I am sorry for providing the wrong message.

Whattteva

Wizard
Boot Stuck mps0: Reinitializing controller.

It was not MPR0. I am sorry for providing the wrong message.
Just want to drop this here for your reference. It seems to be related particularly with ESXi passthrough and FreeBSD 13. Seems like others have had success either dropping back to 12.2 or swapping to SAS2308. They filed bug tickets with both FreeBSD and ixSystems, so hopefully this will be resolved in the future. Sorry, not quite the solution you probably were hoping for.

katbyte

Dabbler
as of TrueNAS-SCALE-24.04-RC.1 ffmpeg still doesn't work when installed via apt:

ffprobe: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I would also consider this a regression as it used to work and now prevents people from installing ffmpeg

yes yes "appliance" and all that but its also just linux and imho it should be expected people want or need to install things as the base system is missing a number of important/useful binaries imho or they are out of date like storcli (currently doesn't support /cx show temperature)

as for why I would want ffmpeg on the NAS instead of running it elsewhere? processing 19 tb of video is faster when not done over a network lol

Davvo

MVP
Have you activated the developer mode?

Davvo

MVP
Did you try apt-get install libgl1 or apt-get install ffmpeg libsm6 libxext6?

Another solution might be apt-get install python3-opencv.

Plenty more at the link below.

Last edited: