Cobia not allowing FFmpeg and Node.js to be installed directly.

littleNewton

Dabbler
1. Cannot install npm from node.js official source.
2. ffmpeg can be installed but cannot work for lacking libGL.so.1. After install libgl.1 via apt, the problem still exists.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Are you trying to install on the NAS system itself? Or are these apps or inside a VM?

littleNewton

Dabbler
Are you trying to install on the NAS system itself? Or are these apps or inside a VM?
Hi Patrick,

I installed software (ffmpeg and Node.js/npm) in my TrueNAS SCALE rather than in a VM.

I need to transcode local videos and use NeoVim (coc) and they rely on these two software.

Best,
Peng

littleNewton

Dabbler
Code:
# ffmpeg
ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

and

Code:
# sudo apt install npm
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libssl-dev : Depends: libssl3 (= 3.0.9-1) but 3.0.9-2 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You cannot install software on the TrueNAS appliance OS. Use one of the provided apps for transcoding.

littleNewton

Dabbler
You cannot install software on the TrueNAS appliance OS. Use one of the provided apps for transcoding.
I agree with your points. But in my usage environment, it is more convenient to use the command line tools directly.

I have written a lot of scripts for automated transcoding.

FFmpeg and npm worked fine on 22.12.3 TrueNAS SCALE and Debian 12. I hope ix can fix this problem in the future.

Best,
Peng

danb35

Hall of Famer
But in my usage environment, it is more convenient to use the command line tools directly.
Then TrueNAS is not the software for you. Install Debian and do what you like with it. TrueNAS is an appliance OS--always has been, always will be. Installation of software in the appliance has never been supported, and once again that's highly unlikely to change. If you have a workflow that depends on being able to install arbitrary software in the base OS, I reiterate that TrueNAS is not the OS for you.

littleNewton

Dabbler
Then TrueNAS is not the software for you. Install Debian and do what you like with it. TrueNAS is an appliance OS--always has been, always will be. Installation of software in the appliance has never been supported, and once again that's highly unlikely to change. If you have a workflow that depends on being able to install arbitrary software in the base OS, I reiterate that TrueNAS is not the OS for you.
Hi danb35,

I want to use ffmpeg and node.js. These two are common software.

Given that they can work properly on the elder version of TrueNAS SCALE, it is reasonable that they still work on the newer release.

This is not a feature request but a bug report, especially the ffmpeg one. As we all know, Cobia is still an RC version, not a release one.

Best,
Peng

danb35

Hall of Famer
These two are common software.
So is Microsoft Word. It doesn't belong on TrueNAS either.
This is not a feature request but a bug report
Not a bug IMO, as (for at least the fourth time in this thread) TrueNAS is an appliance, and installing arbitrary software in it has never been supported--there's a reason, after all, that apt is disabled by default. But if you want to make a bug report, the place to do that (surprisingly) is at the "report a bug" link at the top of this page.

littleNewton

Dabbler
So is Microsoft Word. It doesn't belong on TrueNAS either.

Not a bug IMO, as (for at least the fourth time in this thread) TrueNAS is an appliance, and installing arbitrary software in it has never been supported--there's a reason, after all, that apt is disabled by default. But if you want to make a bug report, the place to do that (surprisingly) is at the "report a bug" link at the top of this page.
I'm not here to debate or express any opinions about your knowledge of TrueNAS. I just need a viable solution. Now.

After tracing the linked library of FFmpeg, I found that Cobia RC.1 lacks /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so. I copied that from Debian 12 and then, FFmpeg can work.

npm relies on the network for pulling packages, so SSL is needed. Cobia RC.1's SSL version is not compatible with the need for npm in ix repository. So this is definitely a bug (repository incompatibility).

danb35

Hall of Famer
I just need a viable solution. Now.
The only viable solution that has a strong likelihood of continuing to be a viable solution is to use different software. Period. But since you're convinced that "it won't do something it was never intended to do" is a bug, file a ticket and take it up with the devs.

Whattteva

Wizard
npm relies on the network for pulling packages, so SSL is needed. Cobia RC.1's SSL version is not compatible with the need for npm in ix repository. So this is definitely a bug (repository incompatibility).
I don't think you understand how software development works. Something that doesn't work is not a bug if it was never supported in the first place. The fact that you can use it at all just means it's "use at your own risk and may change or not work in the future". It's like running Hackintosh on a non Mac computer. Sure, you can do it, but when it stops working on the next version of MacOS, it's not because it's a "bug".

Any viable solution that you can figure out to make it work "Now", is not guaranteed to keep working across upgrades.

littleNewton

Dabbler
I don't think you understand how software development works. Something that doesn't work is not a bug if it was never supported in the first place. The fact that you can use it at all just means it's "use at your own risk and may change or not work in the future". It's like running Hackintosh on a non Mac computer. Sure, you can do it, but when it stops working on the next version of MacOS, it's not because it's a "bug".

Any viable solution that you can figure out to make it work "Now", is not guaranteed to keep working across upgrades.
I am sorry, I am a developer. I understand how to build a system.

If ixSystem provides an apt repository for users, then I believe the repository should be self-consistent. However, it is not (Cobia).

That is all. The problem is almost solved. No reply is expected.

Thanks.

Whattteva

Wizard
I am sorry, I am a developer. I understand how to build a system.
Doesn't mean anything. I'm a developer myself and I have interviewed developers not knowing how memory works or what a retain cycle/circular reference is even though that's practically CS101. Probably a lot of this is due to the fact that most newer developers work on mostly higher level languages that has automatic memory management, but I digress.

If ixSystem provides an apt repository for users, then I believe the repository should be self-consistent. However, it is not (Cobia).
Believe being the operative keyword there. It's not the definition of software support.

littleNewton

Dabbler
Doesn't mean anything. I'm a developer myself and I have interviewed developers not knowing how memory works or what a retain cycle/circular reference is even though that's practically CS101. Probably a lot of this is due to the fact that most newer developers work on mostly higher level languages that has automatic memory management, but I digress.

Believe being the operative keyword there. It's not the definition of software support.
When it comes to memory management, I'm familiar with the implementation of malloc in libc, but I have little understanding of how memory is charged, addressed, and other circuitry information. However, this doesn't stop me from making a living through programming. I envy you for having the opportunity to study at the prestigious Stanford University and the chance to take the CS101 course. During my studies, I once stayed up all night studying the Chinese version of "Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective," which is a fantastic book. I once dreamt of attending a top-tier university, but I am just an ordinary developer, working hard in a developing third-world country. Now, I can only seek assistance in a community using my rudimentary English skills.

I hope the community is a place where valuable assistance can be found. I understand that ixsystem wants to make truenas a plug-and-play product, similar to Apple's iPhone. However, it's evident that truenas has a long way to go in achieving this, especially regarding its graphical user interface. To be frank, if I were to design the front-end UI, I believe I could do much better.

Perhaps my understanding of truenas is flawed, influenced by societal ideologies and the spirit of the social contract. But I am merely seeking help. I hope not to be criticized or punished for having high expectations. If that's the case, it would be challenging for me to muster the courage to post again.

Whattteva

Wizard
I hope the community is a place where valuable assistance can be found. I understand that ixsystem wants to make truenas a plug-and-play product, similar to Apple's iPhone. However, it's evident that truenas has a long way to go in achieving this, especially regarding its graphical user interface. To be frank, if I were to design the front-end UI, I believe I could do much better.
The fact that they don't let you modify the base system is indeed a direct result of that desire to make it plug-and-play. This is done so recovery of the system (which has happened a lot in these forums) is as simple as reinstall -> upload backed up config file. Allowing the base system to be mutable basically goes against that philosophy of easily reproducible state. As for your second point about the UI, you actually are probably correct. The UI, in some places, are definitely clunky, particularly for VM's in my opinion, but it is still much better than other solutions like OMV, in my opinion.

Perhaps my understanding of truenas is flawed, influenced by societal ideologies and the spirit of the social contract. But I am merely seeking help. I hope not to be criticized or punished for having high expectations. If that's the case, it would be challenging for me to muster the courage to post again.
Apologies if that's how I came off. My main goal, really, was to let you know that you probably did set your expectations a bit higher than what it should be in this particular instance since your work-around now isn't guaranteed to keep working when ixSystems releases a new version. But glad that you found a solution that worked for you though.

Etorix

Wizard
I just need a viable solution. Now.
Make a jail, a container or a VM with all the tools you need and work in there.

As already said, TrueNAS is not "a Debian distro", it is an appliance OS. This means that iXSystems does whatever it wants and the user (you) is not supposed to change, install or update anything. (Same as if you'd like to change something in iOS…) If you do make a change to the base OS, the change will be wiped by the next update: No warning, no excuse, no exception.

Given that they can work properly on the elder version of TrueNAS SCALE, it is reasonable that they still work on the newer release.
Wrong assumption. There is no guarantee that these tools will even be there in the next release. Docker is the poster child for this.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Perhaps my understanding of truenas is flawed, influenced by societal ideologies and the spirit of the social contract. But I am merely seeking help.
The problem is that you're seeking help in making it do something it was never designed or intended to do, so in that sense, yes, I think your understanding of the software is flawed. And no, I don't think you'll get much help here in that regard. There are a few who have come up with various unsupported ways of doing things, many of which are found in the Resources, like Patrick's guide to installing TrueNAS on a partition of a boot device rather than on the whole thing. But by and large, according to my observation (and I speak only for myself as a member of the community, albeit one who's been around longer than most), the strong community ethos is to work within the system and use it as it was intended to be used, that being what gives you the best chance of stable long-term data storage--which is the prime function of the software.

Now, just as I'm not a moderator or administrator of this community, I'm also not a dev, so I have zero control over what's done with TrueNAS. For at least the third time, if you think there's a bug in the software, file a ticket so the devs can take a look at it. Maybe they'll make the changes. I doubt it, but I don't speak for them.

Whether you can accept that community ethos, I suppose, is up to you.

sretalla