Install Node.js in a jail

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to install Homebridge (https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge), which requires Node.js. I thought: well should be easy enough.
So I installed a pluginjail and entered it. After that, nothing seems to work. I can't install the node package with pkg install. It says that it can't find Python 2.2:
Code:
root@homebridge:/ # pkg install node
Updating repository catalogue
The following 3 packages will be installed:

Installing python2: 2_2
	Installing libexecinfo: 1.1_3
	Installing node: 0.10.28

The installation will require 11 MB more space

2 MB to be downloaded

Proceed with installing packages [y/N]: y
pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:9:x86:64/latest/All/python2-2_2.txz: Not Found

I have no idea how the "ports system" works (I come from Linux environments). The Node.js site says that it is available through the ports system. I ran portsnap fetch extract and indeed /usr/ports/www/node exists, also /usr/ports/www/node4. When I try to access one of those (as root inside the jail) I get a nice permission denied.

Anyone with a bit of input that might help me closer to figuring these things out?
Other jails with (non-plugin) software were extremely easy to install. Am I doing something wrong?

Thnx.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
can you show your permission denied error

I am sorry, guess I am to much of a noob when it comes to BSD.
/usr/ports/www/node/ is accessible (I thought I had to execute it, and that's not possible because it is a dir). What should I do with it?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
in there you would run 'make install'
to make things run more continually I suggest you run 'make config-recursive' first

but, ideally I would suggest you try getting pkg working. it installs much faster then installing from ports.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Sounds like you need to run 'pkg upgrade' before attempting to install anything from pkg

Status
Not open for further replies.