CIFS Drive not showing in Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

villo

Dabbler
Hi - for the last few days I've been having issues with my mounted shared drive not showing in Windows 10. I'm not able to establish whether the root cause of this issue is within my local PC, or the FreeNAS server configuration so would appreciate if anyone could provide a few basic steps that would help me troubleshoot.

SYMPTOM:
Shared Drive not available in Windows. When attempting to access a drive that was previously mounted, Windows reports that the drive cannot be found.

Troubleshooting Steps Attempted so far:
  • Unmounted shared drive in Windows successfuly and attempted to re-mount it by using the "Map Network Drive" option, and then typing \\freenas\Microserver in the "Folder" field, this produces an error message stating that Windows Can't Access this location
  • Pinging the IP address of the server from Windows CMD is successful - all packets are returned
  • Re-starting the server did not help
  • Re-starting the SMB service did not help
  • I am able to successfully connect to the server from my local PC via SSH, and view the contents/directory structure
  • I am running Plex, and the DLNA network location does show in Windows and I can access certain files through that
This is my FreeNAS config:

System Information
Hostname freenas.local Edit
Build FreeNAS-9.10.2-U2 (e1497f2)
Platform AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor
Memory 16225MB

Any help is appreciated

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Unmounted shared drive in Windows successfuly and attempted to re-mount it by using the "Map Network Drive" option, and then typing \\freenas\Microserver in the "Folder" field, this produces an error message stating that Windows Can't Access this location

Have you tried \\<ip of server>\<share>?

villo

Dabbler
Thanks I tried that but it's unable to find the share - same error as when typing the share name.

villo

Dabbler
UPDATE: Reinstalled Windows on PC, now I'm able to see FREENAS in Networks, but still unable to access the actual directories. I can see "homes" directory under FREENAS but have no idea where that's coming from

Attachments

• Homes.PNG
    Homes.PNG
    10.5 KB · Views: 614

villo

Dabbler
OK another update, disabling "Use as home share option" in Freenas solved the problem. I think I enabled that earlier when I was troubleshooting the issue.

So basically, all this time, the problem was in the local PC - it would have been good to have some troubleshooting steps that would help identify this being a local PC issue.

Attachments

• Microserver.PNG
    Microserver.PNG
    16.5 KB · Views: 643

JAWhitehead

Cadet
OK another update, disabling "Use as home share option" in Freenas solved the problem. I think I enabled that earlier when I was troubleshooting the issue.

So basically, all this time, the problem was in the local PC - it would have been good to have some troubleshooting steps that would help identify this being a local PC issue.

Where would one find this?

Status
Not open for further replies.